Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Scales....... Help!
 Login/Join

<Fire Hawk>
posted
Okay,

I am considering buying a digital electronic scale. I see some different models that are in the $89-$109 range and others that cost a lot more.

Why would I want to buy the "better" scales or should I just buy the ~$100 scale and go reload?

What features are really important and which ones don't make a difference?

I appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Thanks! Fire Hawk

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fire Hawk
I highly recommend the Denver Instrument Accurate Load IV. I have been using mine for several years with not a single problem.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
RCBS makes a couple and RCBS is probably the best company to stand behind the goods they sell and give you the service you need if something ever goes wrong. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have been using a rcbs "partner" scale for about three years. when i first started using it i thought i had died and gone to heaven. my only regret is that i did not buy the next model with the 110 adapter!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a rcbs partner for a couple of years and didnot like it because it did not have an ac adapter. I always had a level of doubt in my mind wondering if the bateries were low. Also I did not heat the building where I load and that seemed to compound problems with the battery.

After some experiments inside my home(heated) and my outbuilding (not heated) I now have a rcbs scale with an adapter and a heated outbuilding and love them both.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that most of the branded scales (RCBS, etc. )are made by PACT. Why pay more for the same thing? As mentioned above, it is a good idea to get a model with the AC adapter.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some models have extra features, such as infrared sync with an automated powder trickler, that add substantially to the cost. If that particular feature is important to you, then it may be worthwhile. Otherwise, if you're using the scale independently to weigh charges, cases and bullets, there isn't a dime's worth of difference among the basic models. These scales are not built by Hornady or RCBS or Redding etc any more than the radio in your F-150 is built by Ford. They are made by companies who build scales for all kinds of industrial applications, and the mechanics and precisions of them are all identical. Buy one from a company that will stand by it if it fails, get one with an AC adaptor if that matters to you, and that's that.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can you get the Denver Instruments Accurate Load IV?
Just curious, I have a Pact Digital Precision Scale (same as RCBS Powder Pro), and it is the best I've ever tried, and I've tried several and worked in a laboratory where the best scales money can buy were used. The Pact is very accurate and repeatable, and the tracable check weights from the lab were right on the money.
I use the RCBS Electronic Trickler (not the electronic dispenser) and it is a super setup. I woundn't trade it for anything you could offer me in powder measuring and weighing, that's how much I think of it.

<Fire Hawk>
posted
Thanks guys!

Where is a good place to purchase these electronic scales? I have seen them in my cabelas shooting catalog, but who else should I consider buying one from?

Thanks! FH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Along with the AC adapter I would recommend a set of check weights. More expensive units have these included.
I have a Dillon D-terminator and it has a cover to keep junk from gumming up the works when not in use. That's important to me.

Try Graf & Sons, Dillon, Midway or your local retailer.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the level of precision any scale might be able to achieve and see if that's within your needs. These "reloading" style scales MIGHT be able to achieve +/- 0.1 grains and if that's good enough for you go with the model of your choice.

If, however, you're getting into something requiring more performance, you may want to consider something capable of more precision and accuracy too for that matter. Weighing of cases, bullets, primers, powder charges, etc., for long range shooting MIGHT fall into this catagory. If that's you then buy once and cry once. You'll be glad you did.

The problem with the latter sort of scale is the size. These "reloading" type scales are pretty nice in that they are so damned small. With a battery you can take them anywhere.

With either type of scale get you a piece of something of known weight and then always use it to check your scale. Issues with questionable batteries, etc., fly out the window once you've either checked your balance with a known weight near the weight value you're using at the moment or better yet where you've gone ahead and calibrated the balance with multiple weights.

Good luck.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, any electronic is capable of far greater accuracy than even the most descerning 1000 yard shooter would need. It is the speed and ease of use that really sets them apart.
Numerous tests have proven that .1 grain is not noticable, even in benchrest competition, even at the highest levels. Benchresters typically throw charges from a measure anyway, not weigh them.
It all gets down to what you want to pay and what you're willing to put up with in the way of convience, and ease of use. Some are much faster than others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the higher priced scale from Pact, then the powder trickler, and havent looked back since. The only fly, is that very fine powder like H110 will get where it ain't supposed to, and lock up the trickler. But then, they warn you about that. Mostly, when using the fine grained powders, I use the Little Dandy anyway.>>>>>Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Fire Hawk>
posted
Well I ordered the Pact Digital Pro scale from Pact. I was impressed to see that they didn't even charge me shipping and handling. Of course, it hasn't arrived yet so hopefully all arrives well. I am very excited.

Next year I will try to buy the powder dispenser to go with it. Thanks for the advice! FH

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about an electronic powder dispenser? Can they be used in conjunction with a manual powder thrower to "top off" or do they require feed back from another electronic component like a scale.

Thanks,

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the deal. Yes, you can use the dispenser from either Pact or RCBS to top off charges thrown by a manual powder measure. It is faster and works very well. The catch is, why would you pay close to $200 for such a setup?
Now, RCBS makes what they call the Electronic Powder Trickler that couples to the RCBS or Pact scale just as the dispenser does, and does this very deed. You throw a charge from your powder measure or from a Lee dipper to within approximately 6 grains of your desired load and hit dispense on the trickler and it tops it off automatically. This trickler sells for anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on where you shop. I found mine for $50 and bought two. They work absolutely super, and I wouldn't go back or trade for anything I've seen new on the market. The dispensers are hard to clean powder out of when changing to a different powder. The trickler on the other hand is simply emptied back into the powder container and a new powder poured in and you're ready to go.
Hope this helps, if not email me and I'll help any way I can.

[ 07-25-2003, 03:55: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grey Eagle,

The electronic powder dispensors do require the electronic scales. You can however speed the process of the electronic dispensor by using a manual measure or scoops so that it doesn't have as much powder to dispense. In escense it becomes a huge trickler [Smile] .

I have the Pact setup and I am working on building a better baffel (more twists) for the drop tube of my BR-30. In loading .308 size cases it does OK but when I move to the .300 WM it does take longer than I like.

Bobby,

The reason I got the dispensor over the trickler is because I just have to punch in the desired charge weight and it dispenses it with virtually zero setup time. If I bring the BR-30 into play I have to adjust it to get it close first and sometimes I just don't what to bother with it.

[ 07-25-2003, 04:08: Message edited by: Byron ]

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the wrong wording. What I meant was the electronic powder trickler. It does require an electronic scale right?

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman powder dispensor/electric scale combo and like it. It has a check weight, cover, and 110 adapter. You can dispense, trickle, or just use the scale with it.
The nice feature is that it has memory so you can set your favorite loads and with the press of a button start throwing powder.
It is very easy to clean also!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a PACT with the Powder dispenser and have never regretted it for one minute. I went with PACT since they manufacture the units, and also some of the different colored units with other names on them. I have heard that they have good service but my set-up has never needed any service so I can't speak from personal experience.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Well, I just recieved that 90 dollar scale from cabelas. You know the one they sell with Cabelas on it. I hate it. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I can't trickle powder in it. In other words, when I throw a load, I measuer and try to trickle .5 grain into it it won't update automatically. I have to lift up the pan and put back down or wait 5 seconds. Also, made a big difference on where I put the pan if it wasn't right in the middle perfectly. Do those other scales do this or update very fast?