Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 30-30 Bullet Seating??
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to reloading, I just did my first reload last night. I measured my powder did everything like I needed to but when I was seating the 170 grain Sierra Pro Hunter Bullet I sat it all the way down to that little groove. Well when I checked my Lee manual it said that the minimum OAL was too short but now I am confused. Aren't you supposed to crimp it on one of those grooves?

Lee suggests 2.550
The OAL right now is 2.375

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are loading in a tubular magazine, yes you have to crimp the bullet in. It's no biggie if the cartridge overall is shorter than the "reccommended" length. It's when the cartridge exceeds the maximum length that you have to start worrying.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wellllll,,,,,, the lee book lied again didn't it.
i wonder what bullet they used???
yep, they don't tell you that either.

you're fine just seat and crimp to the groove.

i have other manuals and only use the lee to see if someone somewhere has used the bullet powder combo i wanna use.
then i go find it in the real book.
not lee bashing, just pointing out their reloading books main fault.
it could cause an overpressure issue if you use their data for bullet a with a thicker jaxketed longer bearing surfaced bullet-b even at not top end loads.

you really don't have this issue in the 30-30 however.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote