New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Calipers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about buying one. Might help my tired old eyes. Any Pros or Cons?

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
To hear the naysayers talk about digital scales you'd think that digital calipers would follow in the same vein!

The pros to the calipers are that the readout is what you have. You don't have to interpret an analog dial. Except for the expense, they're great! I use mine for the more exact and minute measurements. The dial calipers for "rough" work. If you can afford one, get it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will take a little practice to get consistant readings, but once you've got the hang of it, they are much easier to deal with. Especially once the middle aged eyes set in. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
While easier to read, digital calipers do not improve the accuracy of your measurements, I don't care what they cost. Dial calipers are capable of obtaining AT THE VERY BEST +/- 0.001" repeatability - if you've got a good METAL pair. Plastic - forget it. Cheap ones might be +/- 0.002" overall. That's a range of 0.002" to 0.004" error.

Calipers are inherently not very accurate due to their design. Basically, they're a sliding clamp with a speedometer on it. The design allows flex and stretching of the jaws as you measure (internal as well as external) which yields error. The depth gage measurements can however be made relatively accuratly if you have a good technique, and a good tool. The inside diameter measurements taken with a caliper are more innaccurate as the diameter gets smaller. The jaws are flat, the piece you are trying to measure has an internal radius - terrible combination. You will NOT get a good internal diameter measurement.

If you REALLY want to achieve very accurate diameter measurements or bar thickness, use a micrometer. Digital or analog does not effect accuracy - just ease of use. The quality of the tool is the key. Buy a brand name (Starret, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharp, etc.) if you really need dependable measurements.

If you are measuring case lengths and can tolerate +/- 0.001" (0.002" variance), then buy a GOOD pair of calipers, practice with them and go at it. For neck and bullet diameters, the only way to go is a good 0"-1" micrometer.

AND - as in a lot of the things reloaders and shooters do to be successful in this sport - FEEL is the key. You have to develop a good feel for the tool and the material you are measuring.

Forgive me - I ramble. If you want more info on measurement techniques and tools, please email me.

Hope this helps -

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went "digital" about two years ago and have never used my dial calipers since. They are a lot easier for me to see.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Had to go to a meeting in Orlando today so I stopped at Bass Pro Shops on the way home. Bought a Lyman electronic digital caliper. Certainly a no brainer to read it without eyestrain.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo 4" digital, very handy on the reloading bench. Not sure why the re-loading suppliers don't offer the 4" calibers, as I've yet to exceed the 4" range when measuring brass or loaded rounds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I routinely record the total bullets seating die length to better (as well as cartridge oal) so that I can better return to a previous setting. This requires more than a 4" caliper. For this reason I'm very happy with my my 6" Mitutoyo's.

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote