New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Loading Manual Questio
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being new to reloading, I haven't acquired all manuals that I want yet, so far Speer, Sierra, Lee and Hodgdon's Annual Book. Can someone tell me what load data (charge and velocity) Hornandy Lists in their manual for the 45gr Hornet bullet #2230? Thanks

OOPS - I forgot to mention that I'm looking for loads with Lil' Gun.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Not Hornady, but:

Lil'Gun From 7.1 grains to 13.1 grains
Remington 6-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's 5th Edition Manual lists for the 45-grain .22 bullet:

9.5 grains Lil Gun (2300 fps)to 13.1 grains (MAX)(2800 fps).

Case OAL: 1.750 In.

For the 40-grain V-Max, HOrnady No. 5 lists: 12.8 to 13.7 grains, with speeds of from 2500-2900 fps. 13.7 load is listed as MAX.

Those are not my load recommendations. They are listed in Hornady's Fifth Edition loading manual.--Beav

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's. Has it been your experience that the velocities listed in the manuals are on the low or high side? A lot of posts suggest that the actual velocities are higher than those listed in the manuals. Could it be they have inaccurate chrony's or just bad info? Some posts on another bulletin board say they can obtain 3000fps and more with lil' gun with no pressure signs. Have either of you done any experimenting above listed max loads? Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly won't exceed recommended loads from the Hornady manual. Those people have been in the business for over 50 years, and I'm not about to question their experience.

My NEF Handi Rifle seems to have a very long throat and I can get an over-all cartridge length of 1.925 with the 40-grain V-Max bullet. That MIGHT enable me to load more H110 than Hornady recommends, but I've lived to be nearly 74 years old and I sort of want to go on living some more.

I've loaded cartridges for more than 50 years and never yet exceeded recommended maximum loads, and have never had an accident. YMMV.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote