Find
Notify
Tools

Down loading 300 SAUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First time posting.

Has anybody been messing around with light loads for this caliber. Last spring I let a salesman convince me that I needed one. I guess I've shot 2 boxes of shells through it. Too much recoil and didn't group very well either. I don't want to part with the gun, it's the 700 R.M.E.F. edition. At this time, it's the only all weather gun I have. I'm considering trying to get .308 ballistics and recoil out of it. That way I can have a general purpose deer rifle and still have 300 SAUM capabilities if I need it. Welcome any input. Happy Thanksgiving.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest looking at the Hodgden website, they will allmost certainly have the data that you need which will probably be a start load of one of the faster powders in the range. Don't go below start loads, it can be dangerous.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Doss:
First time posting.

Has anybody been messing around with light loads for this caliber.....Too much recoil and didn't group very well either.... I'm considering trying to get .308 ballistics and recoil out of it. That way I can have a general purpose deer rifle and still have 300 SAUM capabilities if I need it. Welcome any input. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jason,

I've used the youth load data using H4895 from Hodgdon's site with success. Accuracy is acceptible at 1.5 -2 " with these loads in my rifle. Some data for even softer loads: There is data from Speer and Accurate using 5744 that would be worth a try, and I'll bet a load could be worked up using SR4759 referencing Lyman's data for cast bullets. There might be a Blue Dot load on the boards somewhere as well.

The standard pressure starting loads for this cartridge are already in 30-06 land--if you don't mind that type of recoil, then go with Varget or 4895 at Hodgdon's starting points and see what works with a 120-150 gr bullets.

This cartridge is esay to load for at reccommended pressures with various bullet weights, and my rifle is very accurate--but it does seem to like the upper end of the loading data for best accuracy: 2950-3100 f/s for 165 gr bullets, 2850-3000 for 180 grainers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I hope I didn't come across like a sissy. I hunted with a 7 Mag for nine years, after I got rid of it I decided that I would stick to something more "fun" to shoot. The SAUM is certainly bearable, but not much fun. At present I'm trying to build up a nice 243 Win. I've always had a thing for that cartridge.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Slot, thanks for the referal on the youth loads. They do have a recipe that might equal the 308

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)