New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 257 weatherby shoots the factory ammo with 100 gr TSX so well that it's scary. I would really like to duplicate this and reload my own. Does Norma load for Weatherby? If so, any idea about the powder that Norma uses? Thanks. Gary

Posts: 469 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
My 257 weatherby shoots the factory ammo with 100 gr TSX so well that it's scary. I would really like to duplicate this and reload my own. Does Norma load for Weatherby? If so, any idea about the powder that Norma uses? Thanks. Gary

Yes Weatherby ammunition has been loaded by Norma for many years. Currently listed on the Norma website is loads for the 7mmWM and up but nothing for the 270WM or the 257WM. The 7mmWM and up use MRP powder as probably do the big cased 270WM and (overbore) 257WM. Some earlier Norma catalogues have loads for all the Weatherby cartridges. I don't have one on hand now.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Norma MRP2 to load the .257 WM with Barnes TSX for a friend, worked pretty well.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the WBY factory loads almost certainly use a Norma powder, they likely use non-cannister "grade" powders which vary a bit in burning characteristics from "cannister grade" powders. With the .257 WBY, you can probably come closest to duplicating the factory load by working up with Norma MRP (or Reloader 22 or 25, which are made in the same plant and are essentially the same as Norma MRP and MRP-2).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
71.3gr Norma MRP, F215 primers will get you the exact factory load. And of course you can substitute RL-22.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone!

Posts: 469 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't IMR 7828 used to be a popular powder for the Weatherby's?

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't IMR 7828 used to be a popular powder for the Weatherby's?

I found that 7828 would give velocities close to MRP. I've found the right Lott of RL22 to be ev en closer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote