Find
Notify
Tools

seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Will I find a change in impact and or accuracy by trying different seating depths? I am at max length on all of my guns now "magazine box max".

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Change in impact isn`t likely, but a change in accuracy is very possible.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Joe. I think that you will find that changing the seating depth of your bullet will change both the point of impact and accuracy. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I disagree with both Joe and Kudude. Changing seating depth MAY sometimes change either POI, accuracy, or both.

Some powder/bullet/primer/case combinations are relatively insensitive to seating depth changes. That is a mark of a good load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree with EVERYBODY..........No........Wait.......That would make me a Democrat! Any changes can cause accuracy and POI to change so all you can do is try and see. It just gives you a good excuse to shoot more!

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always experiment with seating depth because I have found that it has had an effect on accuracy in every rifle I have reloaded for. I like to establish a point of touching the lands, then seat deeper in .005 increments to .030 off the lands.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some 7mm08's that were too long to fit in the magazine. I seated the bullets deeper until they just would just fit & feed. I then treid them out mixing them. They all touched at 100 yards. Your experience may be different, youo just need to try them see wat they will do.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote