New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can find the old style Winchester Silvertips in .270 - 130 grain. I would just like the bullets. I have used these for quite some time and my supply is now low. I cannot find them at any of the reloading component suppliers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know that the ballistic silvertip is now available but I would really like the old style that had the alloy nose cap. They are one of the best bullets that I have ever used for whitetail deer.

Mark

Posts: 27 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Silvertips are not currently offered as a reloading componant. Someone may post a reason for this but for now, they are gone..
You might get lucky to find some at Ebay or at a gunshow but you'll will most likely pay a premium price..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I sort of figured that they were no longer offered by Winchester but thought for sure that some may be available somewhere. It's just that when you have such good success with a particular load you hate to change. I have also had excellant results with the 130 Interbond but I do like the Silvertip. ... Mark

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Cabela's has the Combined Technology Bullets in the silvertip.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMJ888:
Cabela's has the Combined Technology Bullets in the silvertip.

Thats pretty much the same as a ballistic tip, which usually shot great in most guns, however if you want a cheap plinking bullet for the 270 its hard to beat the winchesters power point

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Yep. eBay........ yep.

You may be in luck. The most commonly listed Silvertip I have seen on eBay recently was the .270 (although I thought it was a 140 gr. ???)

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check that out ... thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
marangcan,last time I saw them for sale was in a catalogue two years ago.I think it was Midway.That was my preffered hunting ammo when I still had my 270.Still have some recovered bullets.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No luck on ebay. It looks like the Hornady Interbond may be the new bullet of choice. Although I have not recovered one yet from a whitetail, they seem to be doing the job very well and my rifles really like the load combination.

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, Silvertips are not currently offered as a reloading componant

I know you can buy Ballistic Silvertips for reloading in 270 caliber.

.277" - 130gr. Manufacture's #51075
.277" - 150gr. Manufacture's #51100

If not, try the 140gr. Accubonds or 130/150 gr. TSX.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might I recomend regular hornady interlocks in just a good old flatbase. I've had some great accuracy in many calibers and I'd say that on game performance is as good or better than any of the other "non premiums"!! The 150 spire point flat base in .277 seems really accurate in alot of guns I know of.....even though you might have to load it a little slower than a 130 it's down range energy will probably be a little more and in reality it will fly almost as flat too.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too many people here are to young to know what you're asking....they keep thinking "ballistic" plastic tip bullets.....alot of them haven't seen the good old "aluminum" nose cap bullets like I think you are really asking about.
I still have some for my '06 Bar----it loves em...don't know why!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kraky you are right on the money ... the good old aluminum nose caps are what I really want. Don't get me wrong, my other loads work really well but those old silver tips looked neat and they gave me great performance. My pre 64 model 70 also loves them Smiler We aren't that old are we???

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I'm still in my 20's, but I remember back when everybody I knew either shot the core-locks, or the good ol' win silvertip. Lots of game taken with that bullet.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed, and was pleased with the performance, of Winchester's Silvertip bullets. It is a real mystery to me why they discontinued these excellent bullets. Confused

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Gone?!

I used to buy them for my .30-30 and a .308 Carbine. They work incredibly well on deer. I still have a couple boxes of them I think. It's to bad we loose good stuff to "progress". Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed the Silvertips also......the
30-06 with Win 180 Slivertips have collected alot of game over the years in my BAR also!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post
I have a chance to buy Winchester Silver Tip Bullets 270 cal. 140 gr, BT for $16.00 a box.
Is this a good price?

I'm new to this forum and to reloading.
So far I have loaded 1 round with a Lee Classic Loader.

I bought these and he offered me more for $16 a box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7217...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If they are the old ones and they work in your .270 the way they seem to work in the ones mentione here,,,, Yes! Buy what they have.

I only bought a couple boxes of bullets from Midway on a closeout and have regretted it since.
The next time was a sale on Barnes XLC's that were being discontinued. I had lerned my lesson, and bought a good stock in the two calibers/weights that I have had good luck with. If I use them for game only, they should last quite a while. It only takes a couple to verify zero, and one to fill the tag right? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote