Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading info
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Thompson Center Encore with a 26in heavy barrel chambered in 300 win mag and I want to startreloading for it, what are some loads that would work good to excelent in this gun. I want a load with accuracy and for the range and load with stopping power for lage hogs and elk not necessarily the same load.

Anthony Chavez

Posts: 2 | Location: Eglin AFB, Florida | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony, you will need at least one good reloading book, one that covers the components you intend to use preferably. Or buy the components used in the book. These people have done the testing for you as far as the better powders to use.

Your actual accuracy is up to you and your rifle only. Your rifle may have a strong preference for a particular projectile brand and weight, powder and weight. Primer and case maybe not so important.

Someone here might advise you on a good target projectile and a good hunting projectile, but you will have to experiment with them.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
A 30-06 is plenty for pigs and elk, any recommended book load for the 300 mag will do just fine.
The best accuracy "usually" comes a touch under max but, nothing is cut and dry. Your best bet is as mentioned, pick up a manual or two and with the bullet you plan on useing work up a accurate load. Velocity isn`t important at this point. After you`ve play a bit and get experiance at the bench, you can work on upping the velocities and changeing bulets, ect.
Play it safe and enjoy.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot fellas but what would be a good brad of bullet to go after? I have a good friend that has a spper manual and it has a bunch of other stuff in it but I don't really want to use speer bullets. Thanks again.

Anthony Chavez

Posts: 2 | Location: Eglin AFB, Florida | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
A 180 gr Partition will do anything you`re thinking of doing.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote