New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375" Nosler 260 gr Ballistic Tip !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got my new Cabellas yesterday and few things listed interested me.
One was the new .375" 260 grain BT. Should be accurate as well as death on elk. I understand the larger calibers now have a much thicker and tougher jacket than earlier ballistic tips.

Other Nosler news is their new 5th edition loading manual, as well as a new manual from Barnes too.

Any thoughts on the .357" BT's ??

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank...what's wrong with the tried and true 260gr Partition in .375....it's certainly more than accurate enough for "minute-of-elk". I don't like the ballistic tip concept for big-game...never used them but there seem to be a lot of horror stories ..something I've never heard bout the Partition.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
That's great!

I couldn't find it on the Nosler site. Did you find any details, like Ballistic Coefficient?

<Big Stick>
posted
Friend's and I had been hoping for such a creation. I hope this is happening and not a misprint..................

<Wolverine>
posted
BigStick:

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it is true. The bad news is that I just ordered the last box Cabelas had in stock. They expect a new shipment within a week.

<Big Stick>
posted
Pard,that is GREAT news. As long as it is in production,I am grinning.

Nosler ought to kick production in the ass,as a whole lotta Boys in Alaska,are wanting them.....................

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I heard about these last summer... they're in the 2002 Nosler catalog.

SD: 264 - BC: 473

They call the color "Safari Tip"... practically the same green as the .308's... all the colors available and they can't do any better than that, go figure!

Brad Amundson

<Big Stick>
posted
Mmmmm..... A .473BC at 3000fps. That should be fun............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet folks with .375 JDJ Contenders will be very happy to see them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

My opinion is the same as yours, or should I use the past tense; WAS. The BT's have been changed over the years with thicker jackets on the larger calibers. I have ALWAYS found them to be VERY accurate.
They are the bullet I seem to choose when I'm testing a rifle for accuracy, they always seem to shoot very consistently.

I certainly have witnessed very large exit wounds and even ruined quarters when a deer or antelope is struck in the shoulder. I have also witnessed two downright failures one with 150 grain .308" not out of a .30-378 mag but a mere .30-06. But I have to admit they were all with the older BT's.

I have also witnessed unbeleivable one shot kills from lung shots. And I mean right down, no nothing, but bang and dead. Saw one on a big old cow elk this year with current 180's out of a .300 win , 300 yds , in the lungs and right down. Thats impressive.

BT's are surely not for everyone, or even general hunting. But if you can pass on bad shots and surgically place them in the lungs they work spectacularly. I will surely try them in my .375 but may or may not hunt with them. I surely have always had great luck with partitions and have gone on and on about them on the forums. I know what I can and can not do with each caliber when I use partitions.

But I do think one must look at all possibilities and the new BT's in .375" are surely interesting.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was really hoping that they would come out with a Ballistic Tip in the classic 235 grain weight for those of us who want to use our old H & H's for whitetails and such.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance they will bring out a .416 Ballistic Tip ?.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
Mmmmm..... A .473BC at 3000fps. That should be fun............

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe even 3100 if I'm lucky.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote