New
Find
Notify
Tools

which brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what brand brass do you like best for your rifle handloading?

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Norma or Lapua in a better economy. Winchester fits the bill for now.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I consider price and also how many loads I can get out of a particular brand. I buy once fired brass when available.

For new brass, when price and reloads obtainable per piece if brass are considered, Remington probably beats the rest in most cases.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i usually buy new remington.. sometimes my friends will give me a box of once fired brass,, some federal some winchester.. really dont matter..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
really dont matter

thumb

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For bench rest it might matter, for hunting, it doesn't. I prefer Remington then whatever I can get. No statistical reason, just 'cause. I can not see paying double for some of the brands just for a hunting rifle, like Norma/Lapua/Nosler vs Winchester for loading my 6.5-284 (or 308 for that matter).

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
For bench rest it might matter, for hunting, it doesn't. I prefer Remington then whatever I can get. No statistical reason, just 'cause. I can not see paying double for some of the brands just for a hunting rifle, like Norma/Lapua/Nosler vs Winchester for loading my 6.5-284 (or 308 for that matter).

+1

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
usually buy new remington..

+1 thumb

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
remington

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Depends on caliber but Lapua or RWS tied for 1st, then Norma, then Nosler custom, then WW then RP. Federal I will never buy again for rifle brass. Way too soft at least in 308 & 06.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot hunting and blackpowder cartridge rifles at targets. I like large lots of already proofed cases Big Grin that is once fired as long as they are all the same headstamp from about the same year of manufacture. Moslty I wind up with Rem, Win, Fed, and Norma but I also have Prvi Partisan, US GI and a few others.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I use Winchester brass for most of my US cartridges, but I prefer Lapua and Norma for my European cartridges. However, I will use what I can get my hands on when I need it, including buying loaded ammo for the brass. For general hunting purposes, anything will work fine...even nickel-plated brass.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can find it in the caliber I need I have found RWS to be the best. Consistant in size and weight. Lapua and Norma also good. Winchester, Remington and then Federal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use military LC in .223, .308, and 30-06. In 9,3x62 I use Graf. In 9,3x74R I really prefer RWS. Hornady in the Steyr based cartridges. Have used Norma for the Rigby, and BeLL for the .470 NE. R-P for the other stuff.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use hornaday,winchester,pmp: 243,45acp & 30-06;remington military 1942 & 1943 denver 06 brass.Bullets sierra,hornaday but mostly nosler now from www.bivwak.com or www.shootersproshop.com which I check daily for good buys!