New
Find
Notify
Tools

RELOADING MANUAL(S)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting into reloading for hunting loads. Calibres to be loaded include 22-250, 7mm-08, 30 06 and 9.3x62 - 338winmag and larger magnums to be added later. I will use the Forester Co-Ax press. As a novice reloader I need to acquire a couple of reloading/How-To manuals.

What manuals should I read/acquire and what version is the latest or about to be updated?

Thanks, in advance

Posts: 29 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Nick Harvey's manual has most of the locally available powders.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most any loading manual will give you instructions. sierra is great, hornady shows pictures well etc.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesModern Reloading second edition by Richard Lee. He uses everyone's data. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For rifle, I like the curent Speer & Nosler manuals. The Sierra is a good one too. Lee, not so much IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman has well-written and illustrated instructions. Its data is also reasonbly dependable.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'll second Lyman.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Lyman has well-written and illustrated instructions. Its data is also reasonbly dependable.

Posts: 6410 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Spartan:
What manuals should I read/acquire ...
As many as you can get. But basically two to start with:
1. A Manual from your Powder Manufacturer.
2. A Manual from your Bullet Manufacturer.

As you look at the Load Data and compare the two, it will probably not be exactly alike. It is always best to err on the SAFER side by Stopping at the Lowest MAX Load listed between the two "if" the Pressure Indicators allow you to get that far.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a subscription to www.loaddata.com

This has the data from just about all the recent manuals as well as all the data from 40+ years of Handloader and Rifle magazines.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Most manuals have a pretty good "how to" section in them. I prefer the Lyman's "how to" section to the others. It seems well laid out with the right kind of pictures and illustrations to show you visually what they're talking about as they explain the process.

I would recommend that you get more than one manual. I have 8 or 10 give or take, varying in age from current to 60's vintage.

I would also recommend that you find a tutor in your area to kind of give you a hands on practical session or 2 until you get the hang of it.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
As most everyone said get more than one manual. I like Sierra and the latest Lyman and if you shoot cast bullets a lot Lyman at one time put out a cast bullet loading manual, not sure if they still put out a separate one now. Seek out a friend that reloads and ask questions and watch.
Make sure you ask questions here also, these guys are a wealth of knowledge. Most will tell you what you want to know and some will tell you what you don't want to know, LOL. Welcome and keep shooting.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nsaqam:
I would recommend a subscription to www.loaddata.com

This has the data from just about all the recent manuals as well as all the data from 40+ years of Handloader and Rifle magazines.

+1 get one manual to learn the basics and subscribe to Load Data!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Lyman 49th for a really comprehensive guide to reloading:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/l...ons/49th-edition.php
I also collect up all the powder manufacturers' free loading guides available in Sportsman's Warehouse & other places.
Pretty much all the bullet & powder companies have reloading data on their websites too, which I print off & file.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Personal opinion is the Lyman book is a must for a new reloader followed by the latest manual put out by the manufacture of the bullet brand you use most.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt: Hodgdon.... Love Hornady's and Sierra's as well, Nosler has a much improved manual as well

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman gets my vote. read it cover to cover a couple of times. Also, collect several different books so's you can compare or have a book dedicated to the bullets you're loading.

Any load you read in cyberspace should be suspect and approached with caution. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote