New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 300 yd target "visual".
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 48 year old "bifocal eyes" aren't what they used to be. I do almost all my shooting at round orange dots. I want to zero my 300 wby at 300 yds and was wondering if you guys have any homemade (other targets) that make it real easy to put the cross hairs onto at that range.
(3-9 scope). I can usually get 3-4" groups at 300 but was wondering if there was a better "visual" than my 3" orange dot that would help me hold on target better.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I would bet my 50 year old eyes are worst than yours! I like a diamond w/ 4"-5" sides. It allows you to align the cross hairs a bit better than trying to quarter a dot, for me anyway.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Don, I've always liked shooting the corner of a square target, lines up the crosshairs real nice like. For 300 yard shooting with lets say 10x scope, a 5-6" square may do well. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HATE orange dots (and orange squares and diamonds). Orange seems to "swim" to my eyes at all but very close ranges. I much prefer a simple black cross printed on medium or pale yellow paper. Seems to provide the best resolution for me and I like being able to align or or completely cover the cross with crosshairs.

I confess to never having sighted a rifle at 300 yards but it works for me at 100 and 200. I use a thicker cross at longer ranges or with lower powered scopes. I made up several variations on the computer and added info blanks and just print them off as needed. I'd be glad to share if you can deal with a Word Perfect or MS Word file. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kraky-this is a very interesting question, I'll be 47 in Nov., and in the last couple of years have started to notice how fun it can be to see targets clearly under different light conditions. (I believe this honks me off even more than needing to find my reading glasses!!!)

This is what I've found, in low light condtions I shoot the best hands down. For me the last hour of the day is by far the best. The first hour is second best and overcast cool days are super as well.

Depending on range and scope power I tend to use the orange target dots. To date they've worked quie well for me. I use butcher paper for a background

For groups I do not do my best for sure on bright days.

Don't know if that will help you or not.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
My 48 year old "bifocal eyes" aren't what they used to be. I do almost all my shooting at round orange dots. I want to zero my 300 wby at 300 yds and was wondering if you guys have any homemade (other targets) that make it real easy to put the cross hairs onto at that range.
(3-9 scope). I can usually get 3-4" groups at 300 but was wondering if there was a better "visual" than my 3" orange dot that would help me hold on target better.

I use the 1" square black GI target pasters as aiming points, mounted on white paper. I snuggle the crosshair intersection up to the bottom righthand corner, AT the corner, but not IN IT, and squeeze! At 300 yards, I use three across and 3 down, for a 3" X 3" (1 MOA) aiming point. If you have a powerful scope, you could use the 1" ones at 300 yards as well..... I usually zero my scopes at 4X, as this is the magnification I usually have them set at while hunting.

The black pasters on a white background are easy to see, and it's easy to see the reticle against the white paper, as well......

This one was shot at 100 yards, with a 4X scope.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my guns are standard non mags. They are shot in at 200yds and around 7" to 9" low at 300yds.I use this for sighting in my guns at 300yds. To get a good sight picture I use a standard Redfield target with the + in the middle and add a sheet to the bottom because some shots might be off the bottom. It makes an easy target on which to line up the scope. Once I've sighted in and shot for groups I then bust bottles or gongs. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have posted this before but I'll do it again if it will help someone.
I take and get a piece of card board with white on one side,or one of the plastic looking foan boards that are used ffor signs on one side the other is usually white.Then I take a roll of plastic shipping tape,you can get it at the $store for a buck a roll,and tape the white side in strips all the way down,then take a can of flat black paint and spray the whole board,then take a bottle of white-out and draw you a 2 in circle or squre for 200 yds and 3 in for three hundred.
If you can find a red or green or different color you can spray the board with white paint,both works just like the shoot and see targets.All you have to do is respray AFTERWARDS AND HAVE A NEW TARGET AGAIN.
Been using these for years and they work great for me.
Another trick is if you buy the shoot and see targets all you have to do is spray them again with flat black paint and you're ready with a new target again and you can do this several times.
Hope this helps you old fellows out Smiler

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Actually, your scope should compensate for any vision problems you have, if you have it set-up correctly.

I, like others, use the corner of a square target as my aiming point.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MUCHO THANKS for all the replies. I wished I lived in the country so I could try some of these ideas before I sit down and site in for an AK carribou hunt. (I might scare the neighbors if I walk down the street and tack up some of these taget ideas to someone's tree and then look out my window with my gun!!!!) Anyhow all the ideas have me thinking that a big 5" orange circle with a possible "x" cross through the middle with electrical tape might make a really good "hybrid". I do like how bright orange shows up and that you can see bullet holes. I'm thinking the elec tape might be the right thickness for a 300yd/9power scope.
An "x" might give the effect of the diamonds.
So many good ideas here...maybe it was a good post for everyone. Thanks Again. Don Kraky

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
kraky,

Actually,your last idea is similar to my method. I use a 9" white paper plate.Then I use a sharpie or magic marker to make a thick black cross in the middle. At 100 yards I set my scope on 6X which just covers the cross . I have shot some amazing groups using this system. Only problem is, the wife gets pissed off at me using up all the paper plates !! [IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=312517&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fell heir to a pad of the paper used on presentation boards, about 30"x36". I find that a 3" orange target dot works great at 300 yards. Bullet strikes are easy to see on the white background. This works even better than the fancy "change color when they get hit" targets. The price is right too. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double js
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at Staples, Officemax, etc... for the orange posterboard (2'x3' sheets) and get a thick black marker. Make a heavy X and then just line up the crosshairs...
I use a large piece of heavy wrapping paper (got a roll for free) with the X and then put the orange dot in the middle. It works for me.

Posts: 41 | Location: SW PA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owensby:
I think I have posted this before but I'll do it again if it will help someone.
I take and get a piece of card board with white on one side,or one of the plastic looking foan boards that are used ffor signs on one side the other is usually white.Then I take a roll of plastic shipping tape,you can get it at the $store for a buck a roll,and tape the white side in strips all the way down,then take a can of flat black paint and spray the whole board,then take a bottle of white-out and draw you a 2 in circle or squre for 200 yds and 3 in for three hundred.
If you can find a red or green or different color you can spray the board with white paint,both works just like the shoot and see targets.All you have to do is respray AFTERWARDS AND HAVE A NEW TARGET AGAIN.
Been using these for years and they work great for me.
Another trick is if you buy the shoot and see targets all you have to do is spray them again with flat black paint and you're ready with a new target again and you can do this several times.
Hope this helps you old fellows out Smiler

A real pain to do, it sounds like!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote