Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I was reloading for a 30-06 and had 20 Nosler cases and 20 Norma cases. The Norma cases seemed noticeably lighter than the Nosler so I weighed them (must confess I'm not into weight sorting brass yet).

The Nosler case weighed 201.5 gr
The Norma case weighed 181.8 gr

Both trimmed to the same length and prepped the same, not primed yet.

That seems like a big difference. Is this normal for Norma to be this much lighter constructed or is Nosler just made heavier?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
woods, i do not know if it is normal for norma.
Winchester super x weighs in at 181.5to 186 7 remington at199 201.4 and lake city match weighs in at 191 to 193.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Norma is lighter than rem and win brass. I load alot of weatherby rifles. Norma makes weatherby cases. If you compare a weatherby case to a rem case in say....300 wby the norma/weatherby will be lighter. It also seems to have alot more room inside of it. Sometimes you have to load rem cases about 1-2 grains lighter and they will achieve the same velocity.
I don't know who makes noslers brass but I suspect its rem, win, or both depending on caliber.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
i have been using lapua and they have been weighing between 197.7 to 198.5. i bought 50 nosler 30/06 for the ackley and they all weigh from 200.5 to 200.9

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Just never checked it before.

Wouldn't heavier brass be more durable? The only real problem I've ever had with brass was with WW and splits in the necks. Norma has been a good performer for me. I'm trying out the Nosler and it seems to be very good also.

I did check the neck thickness and both the Norma and the Nosler mic'ed .012" to .014" so the extra thickness is not in the neck.

Guess I'll plan on using the Norma for compressed loads since it should hold a tad more powder.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use Norma brass for my wildcats. It will give 3-4grs more capacity in a 280. It will also start to expand at the head at around 65000 (pressure guage)so I use that as my load limit as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that Norma was making the Nosler brass. Did I hear something that is wrong?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard that Norma was making the Nosler brass. Did I hear something that is wrong?

The Nosler site claims the brass to be heavier(smaller capacity) than both Rem&Win. Based on my experience with Norma I have always found it lighter (greater capacity) so based on that my vote would be someone else is making the brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote