New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guy's, I currently only reload for the Hornet and am still very green. I've only neck sized so far but heard that Full Length sizing greatly reduces the amount of stuck cases. Could you comment on this please?

Also, in my experimenting, I find that if I reach a certain charge with Lil' Gun, the cases develop a ring around the web of the case. ( Yes, I did go over the recommended charge but only by 1/10th grain at a time). Is this a sign of excessive pressure or a head space problem? However, I don't get the ring with normal loads so I suspect they were too hot. Should I discard these cases or could I continue to use them as long as they are not cracked? I know this is a lot of questions but you guy's seem to have all the answers. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you having stuck cases? If not, stay with the neck-sizing, as the less you work the thin Hornet brass, the better.
You don't state what weight bullet you are using, but in most loads you cannot get enough LilGun in a Hornet case to exceed the Hornet's recommended max pressure. One of the marvels of LilGun!
Most case separations occur just above the web area, and a simple tool (sharpened wire with a short 90 degree bend) will allow you to "drag" the inside of the case in that area. Cases about to go will "catch" your wire point.
Good luck!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mulerider I've been experimenting with 40gr v-max, 45gr Hornet and 50gr Sierra's. I'll try the paperclip thing. Sounds like you have experience with the Hornet, what are some of your favorite loads? P.S. I have a handi-rifle with 1:12 twist. It won't shoot anything less than 40gr worth a darn.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally the problem (if any) with neck sizing is stiff chambering. Your rifle is a break-top, yes? If you do find yourself needing to full-length size (either every time, or more likely from time to time), then the best option might be to stick with your Collet die (if memory serves), and bump back the shoulder with a Redding Body Die (about 20$ for your Hornet). Either that, or you may want to consider removing the expander from your FL die. I hope you got your Collet die to work, it is well worth it!

I personally try to neck size my cases as much as possible. If chambering becomes really stiff, I bump back the shoulder just a tad to allow chambering with just a hint of resistance. In particular in a break-top gun, you should not get the feel that you are "crushing" the case to close the rifle!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF YOU DON'T HAVE MY PROBLEM...keep necksizing.
I have a Hornady .22 Hornet neck sizing that opens the neck up to the extent that the bullet drops to the bottom of the case, without the seating die. I had an RCBS set up, several years ago, and full length sized without lube.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 50 grain Hornady V-Max and 11 grains of IMR 4227 and use CCI 450 primers!

I neck size, or partial resize, which ever you prefer to call it!
I set the full-length sizer die about the thickness of a dime from the shell holder!
My rifle is a Ruger M-77/22Hornet! I don't get stuck cases, at least not yet!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee collet die, and a Forster ultraseater. Wouldn't be able to full-length size my cases, but then never had any need to do so.
G.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Lee collet die...nuff said!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Lee Collet Dies

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I full length size, with an RCBS Competition die set. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax (no dented shoulders this way), and probably get 8 to 10 reloads per case before the necks pinhole or tear.
I also use Lil'Gun, and have been told by Hodgdon's that you can't fit enough Lil'Gun into a Hornet case to develop dangerously high pressures. I can fit about 13.2 grains into a Hornet case, myself (Winchester cases).
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I FL size and trim all new brass, then use the Lee collet die to neck size only.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote