New
Find
Notify
Tools

steele shot reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ive done lots of lead loading but now im gonna do some steele. i have a lee loadall2 and was wondering if these loads will work for steele. i know i have to move my wad quide up 1/4 inch, is there anything else i will need to do? i will be useing greendot

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...wder.aspx?powderid=5

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fishguts Most of that data is for lead shot.Steel shot requires different wads that hold the entire shot charge to protect the barrel. While some "conventioal "powders can be used ,powders designed for steel loads will provide better performance. Alliant makes a powder called "Steel" that is designed for steel shot. I suggest you check out "Ballistic Products" a company in Minnesota. They have components and load data specifically for steel shot.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i didn't see a single load there for steel shot [didn't think i would]
steel powder/800-x/blue dot.
those are the powder speeds you need for steel shot.
blue dot loses velocity in the cold.
the bags of sam-1 wads come with load data inside them.
i look for 1-1/8 oz loads in the 1400 fps zone that don't call for a filler.
the federal 2-3/4" gold medal target hulls [not the crappy ones from wal mart the real target hulls] make the best steel shot hulls for reloading ease.
number 1-2 & 3 shot is the most usefull for me.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote