Tools

moly coating
 Login/Join

posted
what is the latest on moly coating, pros & cons

Posts: 6 | Location: oregon,jackson | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In High Power match shooting, the trend is more and more against it. However, many good shooters continue to use it.

My personal opinion is it is of no value for hunting, possibly negative, because a number of shots are needed to reestablish zero after cleaning.

For target shooting, where you shoot a lot more, it may or may not have any value. the fact that there is no consensus on this after 20 years or so leads me to believe that any value is not apparent.

<allen day>
posted
I have found that moly coating is of very little value. It's supposed to cut down on fouling, but the rifles I've shot moly in fouled just as much as without it. For the life of me, I can't see the value in it........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's great for ground squirrels.
Fire 200 rounds and stay accurate without cleaning.

--

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MC,
It is the best thing since sliced bread, brown bottles for beer, duct tape and velcro. I just happen to have a complete NECO moly plating set up that I would be willing to sell you cheap because I heard you are a good guy and I need the money to pay for my deceased grandmother's operation.
Actually I tried it, it is a PITA for my purposes (hunting and high power). Some of the high power and benchrest shooters swear by it, some swear at it. David Tubb says it is great, but he owns a company that, you guessed it, moly plates bullets on a commercial scale.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
75 pounds of Nosler blem bullets arrived today.

Now it is off to Russ Hayden for moly coating for most of them at 2 cents a shot.

I shoot with a couple guys who are desperate to shoot as well as me. They know I surpassed them when I started using moly, so they have been trying it in their own ways.. They spray it on the loaded cartridge and get it all over their hand holding the cartridge and shoot it right then. Then they spray some down the bore. Then they rub some moly bore cream on a bullet that is already in a cartridge and shoot that.

I try to explain the long complicated procedure of getting a factory hand lapped barrel, never shooting non moly in it, burnishing the bore with moly before firing a shot, but they go right ahead and fire form 100 cases with non moly in a new hand lapped barrel, and then ask, "Why are your groups better?"

The short answer is, "BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN!!"

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote