New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for Taurus Thunderbolt 45 LC?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up one of these and would like anyone's insights or experiences loading for it. I'm not a cowboy action shooter and probably won't hunt with it (although it could see service on a hog hunt).

It'll be a companion to a Ruger Blackhawk and I'd like to come up with a reasonable 240-255 gr load that'll work in both. Initial look at reload data suggest one or the other of 2 old favorites I have on hand - Blue Dot or Unique.

Thoughts? Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
You are going to be loading light for your Ruger if you want loads that will work in both. The Ruger can take loads that are as fast as a 44 magnum and your Taurus needs to be loaded to the standard pressure loads.
The standard load is up to 9 grains of Unique with a 225 to 230 grain jacketed bullet or up to 9.5 grains of Unique with a 250 grain lead bullet

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey wsj, If you have a chance, tell us your impressions about the new rifle. Did you get Blue or Stainless? About how much did it cost?

I'd sure like to have one in 357Mag.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PaulS: Thanks. I guess there's nothing wrong with a 250 at standard velocities. I've got other guns if I want more horsepower or faster bullets. Besides, it's of necessity a short range proposition for me because I can't see well enough to use open sights much beyond the end of the barrel anyway!

Hot Core: Will do. I've been interested in these rifles since Taurus announced them (and, like every manufacturer, had them generally available only a couple of years later). You don't see many anywhere in person,, either used or new, and the prices keep going up.

This one is used, 2006 vintage, color case hardened receiver, 26" round blued barrel. I haven't even seen it in person yet but bought it off the internet from Jaquas in Findlay, Ohio. They are a quality store and had very detailed photos of the rifle, plus they have a 3-day return policy. It was $400 + shipping (+tax if picked up in person) so I put it on the old card and promised to pick it up next time I'm in Ohio, probably sometime in April.

I'me very eager to see how it performs. There seem to be a fair number of people who have not had good luck with the Thunderbolts, and some are pretty down on them on the gun-nut forums. Others report a quality product, no problems and complete satisfication. I'm hoping that whatever issues there were with the earlier production runs have been sorted out by Taurus and that I bought a shooter. I'll report when I get a chance to run some ammo through it.

Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey wsj, Thank you for the info.

I'd just heard about them being made only a few months ago and looked at the Taurus web site. I was surprised to see all kinds of Models of the basic (old Colt Lightning design) firearm in both Rifle and Carbine lengths. Plus Blue or Stainless and even in 357Mag and 44Mag.

So, I called Taurus to see where some had been shipped and the nice Customer Service guy told me they had decided not to make the 357Mag versions. I'm hoping they will reconsider, because I would sure like to have a Carbine version. It would make a great Truck Rifle for me.

The $400 sounds like an outstanding Bargain. thumb Always glad to hear when someone gets a deal.

I'm surprised someone from Indiana didn't get it before you saw it. Their Hunting Laws have changed and they can now Deer Hunt with center-fire rifles chambered for "some" revolver cartridges. I would guess(but don't know for sure) the 45LC might be on their Approved Cartridge List.

I'd sure like to hear about it once you get it. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote