Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickel or brass?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 300 wsm Browning a-bolt. I have heard to go with nickel from some, and brass from others. Anybody have pros and cons for both?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I find the nickle cases are easier to keep clean and they polish fast in the tumbler.....I've had no trouble (as others claim) with the nickel flaking off at the case mouth...maybe I'm just lucky.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, nickel is easier to clean and looks sharp. I have been using it exclusively for my BLR 30-06 for 2 years now. However, I find that it is a bit harder to trim, chamfer and deburr than brass. I have had very few cases show signs of flaking around the case mouth, but only after 6-7 loadings. Overall, I think it is a good idea if you plan to do any hunting in wet conditions, as it will resist corrosion without maintenence. IMHO, use it if you want to. It won't make you a better shooter, but it is a neat product. Regards, Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickel plated cases have three advanatages over Brass for a hunting round. They have a "slicker" finish and feed easier. They are harder and stand up to light abuse better. The surface is easier to clean and does not tarnish nearly as easily from skin or leather acids. They are harder to resize and not as mallable as brass; But for hunting; particularly in extreme conditions; are considered more desireable if properly sized.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickel has several advantages at least 2 of which have not been mentioned!

1. I have a .308 Win. and a 7mm-08 Rem., both Remington Model 7's! I switched and started using nickel plated brass in my 7mm-08, so I wouldn't inadvertently take off hunting with the .308 rifle and 7mm-08 ammo! The 7mm-08 ammo will chamber in a .308!
So, If you have two cartridges that are almost identical, you might consided switching one of them!

2. If you drop a round or rack an empty out of the chamber, into the leaves, snow, etc. the nickel is a lot easier to see!

My 2cents!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that there is any real advantage to nickle over brass and I think brass will get more reloadings than nickle..Nickle brass is mostly Remington and its never been as good as Lapua, Norma, or WW IMO.

I like to use the nickle cases for solids and the brass for softs in Africa...thats handy.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real reason for nickel plated cases is corrosion resistance. This is only a major consideration when hunting the tropics or temperate rain forests of the Northwest & Alaska.

I have over 20 reloads on some of my nickel plated, Federal 416 Rigby cases. No flaking, no issues with trimming, etc, etc. I had identical experiences with my Federal, nickel plated 458 Win mag cases.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote