THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: .270 Cast Bullets in Canada (I Hate Patriot Act2)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .270 Cast Bullets in Canada (I Hate Patriot Act2)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted
Quote:

Questions: When you cross the border, do you get searched by US Custom when you go into Canada?

Hell! Sometimes they don't even wait until you hit the border. US Customs agents have relieved numerous Canadians lately of their purchases the moment they have stepped outside the Kesselring Gun Shop in Burlington, WA. It is so bad the staff in Kesselrings will not even sell you anything if they know you are a Canuck!

The American government has stolen a page out of the Canadian governments playbook here. They have learned that if you can't catch the real bad guys you make a big production out of pointing the finger somewhere else.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know...does anyone out there???

Can a sizer be run from a reload press if the proper die is purchased??? Or is a sizer press a different-sized (and tapped) animal???

Could be a good idea, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Lee makes bullet-sizing dies that mount in a normal loading press. I believe standard-catalog-diameter dies cost about $13.00 US.

The cast bullets are pre-lubed with Lee's Liquid Alox and allowed to dry before sizing, and the gaschecks are seated in the same sizing operation if you're using a bullet that needs gas checks (most .270 rifle bullets do). The sizing die goes where dies normally do, and a pushrod on the ram forces the bullets up through the die and into a receptacle on top of the press. This is sort of slow and can be a bit messy, but IT WORKS.

At least at the beginning of one's casting experience, this should serve admirably. Most cast bullets are sized at least a thousandth or two LARGER than nominal bore diameter for best results. Sizing from .285" down to .278" (the size most casters use for .270 sizing) is probably possible, but MIGHT have to be done in two steps, and the real fly in the ointment might be the depth of the lube grooves on the bullet. If there's still enough groove depth AFTER sizing to .278" that the lands of the rifling won't "bottom out" in the grooves, the bullet should work. If the lands DO bottom out (making contact with the smallest-diameter part of the grooves) then experience has proven that results probably will not be very good.

Frankly, for the price involved, I'd just buy a Lee .270 mould and .278 sizing die for maybe thirty bucks total, and cast my own bullets proper-sized from a small cast-iron frying pan on a stove. Used wheelweights can be found, and if you drop the bullets directly from the mould into a pail of water, they will be plenty hard enough for the job.

It's enjoyable, and a creative way to spend some "gun time".

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is obvious you know as little about the world as about cast bullets. It is something that you turn to the USA for bullets and yet disparage our self protection efforts. YOU do not even know what is available in Canada. Reload factories for 270 cast bullets? ANOTHER TROLL UNMASKED.

What the hell is that all about?

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
It is obvious you know as little about the world as about cast bullets. It is something that you turn to the USA for bullets and yet disparage our self protection efforts. YOU do not even know what is available in Canada. Reload factories for 270 cast bullets? ANOTHER TROLL UNMASKED.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I sympathize with all of you Canadian shooters, having emigrated to the USA back in '97 just as the worst of the new firearm laws were coming into effect. Those new anti-gun laws were a major factor in prompting our move, believe me.

So...we can't ship cast bullets across the Line, hmmm? I am putting together a casting outfit for my handicapped brother (he fell from an oil rig one stormy winter's night) who lives in Alberta, with a Lee furnace, Lyman sizer-lubricator, dies, a couple of moulds etc. All of the stuff is used, not new. Does anyone happen to know if the tooling can legally be sent into Canada? I sure hope so!

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote