New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to offer for an old RL550?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Recently a friend at work brought in an old Dillon RL550. It looked to be at least 10 years old and hasn't been shown any love in a long time. I think it sat in a garage and has endured some weathering. The main shaft was rusted over and completely locked up. What looked to be the remnance of a dirt dobber nest was clogging the primer shield. Surface rust was present on any given steel part. He said it use to belong to his Dad and had sat awhile. That was an understatement. He wanted to sell it but didn't know how much it was worth. He gave it to me to take home and check out. If I wanted it, I'd make him an offer.

I took it home, mounted it, and commenced to cleaning. After about 5 hours, It worked but I think it's missing a few parts for the powder measure to work properly. Other than that, it appears to have all of the other required parts to produce ammo. I went to Dillon's website and downloaded their user manual for the RL550B. I used the schematic for the 550B to help figure out some of it but some of the parts are different or have been changed completely.

I think the machine is worth salvaging. Now's the tricky part. How much would be a respectible offer for this old machine?

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!!!

Rod

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
An interesting quandry.. as it's NOT worth all that much to begin with...

It's $260 on ebay, every day...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3603718471&category=31825

I would say, "nice press, I've got it working" and let him take it back. I think you'll be in it too much for feelings and parts to be worthwhile...

enough preaching, here's MY answer

it's "worth" 50% of new, max, less parts.

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
If you do end up buying the Old Dillon RL550 you should send it to Dillon to have them check it out. they will re-furburish and up-grade it to a RL550-B for free. you just pay the shipping. make sure you call them before you send it as you will need a RA# before you can send it to them. i bought a used Rl550 and a used square deal-b and they re-furbished and up-graded them for free. if it is as rusted as you say, and parts are missing i would offer your friend between $100.00-$150.00. HTH
Rick

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't work, as it was offered, it is worth nothing...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
POOR GUY! NOBODY REALLY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION DID THEY? WELL, I WILL!

AFTER ALL YER "TRIME AND TOUBLE", I'D OFFER YER "FRIEND" $50.

'SPLAIN TO HIM ALL YER TRIME AND TOUBLE FIRST THOUGH. SEE JUST HOW GOOD A FRIEND HE IS.

IF HE DON'T LIKE THE OFFER, THAN N.E.G.O.T.I.A.T.E.! [Wink]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello again,

Thanks for all the responses. I'll take them into consideration. I called Dillon and they said they'd overhall it. The cost will only include any replacement parts and myself shipping it out there. Sonofagun, thanks for your words of wisdom!

Rod

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
YOUR WELCOME, GRASSHOPPER! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would second the motion to buy it as cheap as you can without offending your friend. Dillon is as good as RCBS in the warranty department and I would not hesitate to pick another up and send it on down to Arizona for the Blue Crew to overhaul it. I have complete confidence you will be amazed at what they would be willing to do for you. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote