New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 22 Hornet Brand Dies Do You Use ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious as to who uses what brand dies for 22 Hornet and any issues ?

First- Lee full size die - sizing case to small
Second- Lee Replacemant - cut new brass in 1/2
3rd- Lyman Full size die - sizing cases to small and bullet seater won't go down far enough to seat bullet.

Took lyman die apart and expander shaft has 223 written on it, called Lyman to see if that shouldn't be 224 and they said yes.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thats a common kind of problem with several brands. I got tired of buying 3 sets to mix and match for results and now go straight to Reddng without hesitation. Better die dimensions are needed for better guns too. Tikka chambers, for example are better dimensionally than Remington chambers for the most part.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS dies and have not had any issues to date.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my dies are RCBS (28 sets) including the 22 Hornet!
I have never had a problem loading the Hornet!
The expander ball in my 22 H die is .223 diameter!
I would guess that it would need to be .223 diameter in order to securely hold .224 diameter bullets!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
I use Lee brand dies. which includes the Factory Crimp Die. I haven't had any problems with them yet. All my reloading dies are Lee.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEE dies for me...Never any problems with the Neck Sizing Die or the Seating Die or the Factory Crimp Die. Always (usually) MOA in my Hornet and .223

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bonanza for the Hornet.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
RCBS

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS and two sets of Hornady New Dim. Want to buy one?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 Hornet - RCBS
22 K Hornet - Redding

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee collet sizer and finish up with Lee factory crimp.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I use LEE dies for my loading, but I have found over the years that 2 maybe 3 loadings per case is about it. In fact I do 2 loadings for 1 cases, then toss it. Hornet brass is not that expensive, and I am only interested in minutre of Javelina/Jackrabbit accuracy. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 Hornet Redding
22 K Hornet RCBS

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sccm1:
Curious as to who uses what brand dies for 22 Hornet and any issues ?

First- Lee full size die - sizing case to small
Second- Lee Replacemant - cut new brass in 1/2
3rd- Lyman Full size die - sizing cases to small and bullet seater won't go down far enough to seat bullet.

"cut new brass in 1/2" ???

That's a new one one me. What do you mean by this?

From your description of the troubles you're having, it sounds as if you may have an excessively over-sized chamber.

I can't quite imagine a seating die in which the "seater will not go down far enough to seat bullet". Are you sure that you are setting up correctly?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The Lee Collet sizing die. It ended my accuracy problems and extended my brass life dramatically. FWIW, my last Hornet barrel slugged 223.

Also curious about the "cut in half". Are you sure the die didn't finish off an incipient case head separation about to let go? Sounds like whatever you have, the chamber and die dimensions don't match; like Stonecreek suggested.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies,

I'm sending Lyman back and see what happens.

Ric, thanks I will look at link when I have more time.

Stonecreek, The replacement Lee full size die the gun shop traded me out for would cut the case in 1/2 leaving the upper part stuck in die and bottom 1/2 would pull back out with ram. Did this 3 times and gave up. I ordered the redding after that but the gun shop sent me Lyman so it looked like a good die set so kept it and now I,m without die. This was why I posted to see what brands and trouble other people were having in case the Lyman comes back with problems again. Want to buy something that works first time.

I have a Lee Collet Neck Die but the gun which is M6 Scout, will not eject a neck sized case but will full sized. I tried shooting some of these tight cases and it backs primers almost 1/2 way out of case and accuracy about 2' x 4' pattern. Yeah I know, gun but I checked gun and scope and with factory Remington 45gr still just over 1" group at 100yds. The brass is new Winchester brass.

The 1st Lee Full size die and the Lyman die sized the new winch brass so tight that the Lee Trimmer Shaft would not go inside the case without driving it in with brass hammer and if you tried to seat a 40gr vmax anyway it would size the neck itself to force itself in, you can see the entire outline of the bullet thru brass it was so tight.

The Lee bullet seater works fine but the Lyman bullet seater would only go down far enough to start bullet about 2.10" OAL when I need around 1.810 - 1.848". I messed with for hours and it has to be the seater die.
I set the die body (with seater pulled out of die) to where it touched the empty case then barely backed off so it wouldn't crimp then try to seat a bullet and the seater plug would bottom out and thats as far as it would go, I still had 1/4" of threads left on outside of seater plug but it is bottoming out on inside body. I belive either they didn't put enough threads inside body for seater to thread in deep enough or the seater shaft is to short to let you seat bullet deeper. If I turn the die body in anymore it tries to crimp and mess case up.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Bonanza (Forster) - works fine.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the chamber of your rifle is badly out of spec.

The Lyman seater die could have been sent with the wrong seater plug.

I don't think I've ever heard of such a string of problems with so many different dies.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The little M6 Scout receiver may be flexing on firing. Try reducing your loads about 5-10% and see if that helps.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS never let me down.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee. I have always enjoyed their line of products.

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
22 Hornet - RCBS
22 K Hornet - Redding

This is what I use.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee Collet Dies, though I use a RCBS full lenght sizer once in awhile when needed.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess don't see how chamber is out of spec and the factory loads are doing fine and when the dies are what's sizing the brass so small that you have to force the trimmer inside of case to trim and then putting a bullet in the case is so tight that the bullet resizes the brass as it is going in. The bullet deforms the brass so bad I can see the bullets outline plain as day through brass.

Have never had any problems with my other Lee or Redding dies, this was my first Lyman die.

I have went to lightest load and primers still backed out, Gun shop believes where case is being sized so small that maybe by the time the case expands to fit the chamber it is moving farther than it should backing out primers, which I'm not sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee is a good honest company with quality products. But, it's a hassle getting them to replace things that break. Gotta mail the parts and wait two weeks.

RCBS: just e/m, phone etc and the new parts are on the way right then at n/c.

IF you jack up the body of a die, say by sizing a case with rocks on it you might miss. They'll replace the body, if they can't hone it smooth right quick. Always at N/C.

They'll even replace the plastic boxes, and primer pins all at N/C.

They won't argue, or send nasty notes wanting to know "what did have you been using these for, center punch's??" I got that about a primer pin that's hyped up as" Cannot break". Yeah sure!

They're Perfect measure is good, but, it's sure as hell not PERFECT by a long shot.
I own a bunch of Lee products, and deal with them often. Joe Shono will take care of you right, and right away. BUT: don't never send him, or them cash even for a $2-5 item. You'll never hear from them again, and John won't reply either. Just my experience's with them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote