Find
Notify
Tools

REDDING BR-30 POWDER MEASURRE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FOLKS,
I'm in the market for another powder meaure & Ihavelooking at the Redding BR-30. I have a BR-3..it's a nice accurate measure but I THOUGHT I might give the 30 a try. The only problem is I shoot not only 22K HORNET-223 & a few other cals that don't take over 50 grains - I also shoot 270 win -30-06 -260 & soon either 308 Norma Mag or 308 win or 300 win mag. These all take charges over 50 grains & I would have to double charge. I don't know if I would like that & how accurate it is. They claim the 30 is a little more precise because it has a 9/16 cavity & the micromiter has a cup on it vs a flat surface.
So if anyone hasany thoughts or uses a BR-30 please speak up.
Thank you in advance for your time.
SOUP

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BR-30 is great up to .308. It is designed for powders that meter well. It is sub-optimal for the big log like powders.

A Harrells powder measure will get you from .223 up to 416 Rigby in fine style.

Look at it this way; you tend to shoot a lot of the smaller cartridges, not much of the bigger ones.

Use a measure for the small ones and weigh the large ones.

The electronic measures work well also.

Anyway, the BR-30 is not what you want. I say that because I own one and only use it for the smaller cartridges.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not keep the BR 3 for the biggies.

But I don't know of anything wrong with double throwing. If the BR 30 is so accurate how far out can you be?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the big kernels you can be off .3 grains. Sometimes the sequential errors will cancel each other out, sometimes they will add together.

I have a small Harrell that I use for pistol cases when working up loads, a BR-30 for up through .308, and electric for over that.

Next purchase will be a larger size Harrell.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the electronic dispensers/scales would be the way to go for volume loading of the big kernel powders..........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Soup,

I've owned the Uniflow for about 35 years. Added the micrometer insert about 20+ years ago. Finally started to use it the way it was designed to be used.....throwing, not weighing. After reading Glen Zediker's stuff on Reloading for Competetion, I made the plunge and called Harrell. He offered to send me his Custom 90 with out paying first, try it and send it back if I didn't like it. Well, I sent it back, but only to upgrade for the Premium model instead. Well, and I mean well worth it. It's not that I didn't like the Custom 90, it's that it adds about .15 gr per click where the Premium adds about .1 gr per click instead. His quality is fantastick. Still have my Uniflow. Won't sell it. I'll keep it around for emergencies if my Harrell's goes tit's up. But only use it long enough to call Lynwood and have him send me a new Preumium.

Big Al

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote