New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arbor press w/ pressure gauge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does a pressure gauge on an arbor press really make any difference?

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can, BUT will not matter unless you are shooting a bench rest rifle (built as a bench rest rifle) AND going through all of the 'bench rest' loading procedures.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's what I thought makes no difference on a deer rifle intended to be used no further than 300 yards.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A deer is a huge target.
Use of bench rest procedures might make your rifle group 3" at 300 yards instead of 4" at 300 yards.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seat all my bullets using arbor press hunting/varmint rifles.

I started years ago working loads up at the range using arbor dies. You could adjust seating depth at the range see instant results and cut way down on range trips.

I haven't used standard type seater in years so couldn't tell you if it's better and if I never loaded at the range I might still be using standard seater.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
    The main concern is concentricity and neck tension - An arbor press obviously helps with the concentricity issue and the pressure gauge helps determine neck tension. You can do the same with a standard press and achieve exactly the same results however it just requires a little more finesse and fiddling.

There is no question that an arbor press is very handy at the range. tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
    The main concern is concentricity and neck tension - An arbor press obviously helps with the concentricity issue and the pressure gauge helps determine neck tension. You can do the same with a standard press and achieve exactly the same results however it just requires a little more finesse and fiddling.

There is no question that an arbor press is very handy at the range. tu2

I not only use arbor seating die but also use arbor bushing dies so I can loaded a fired case at the range.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote