New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone reloader 22 rem jet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what pit falls has anyone run in to attempting to reload this cartridge?? what was the best powder and bullets. Thank for any resonses.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodger, I was sorting out some reloading supplies today, and came across a new box of Remington 22 Jet cases. They said 22 Centerfire on the outside, so Ihad to open them up to see that they were Jets. If you need cases, let me know.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
He'll probably see this thread and contribute some of what you're looking for....but if he doesn't you might want to search for Roger Bartsche's posts on that subject. He has a rifle chambered for the .22 Rem Jet.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to re word the title of your thread so Bartsche will understand it is not about the powder Reloader 22 like I did.

I think Bartsche built a .22 Jet with a .224 barrel and used rimless brass so he could use a Savage action.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, also found I had a new a set of 22 Jet dies made by Pacific....FL and seating dies.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon and Hornady both list 22 Jet loads. I have used 2400, W296, H110, do not load maximum in S&W Model 53, fun to shoot, real loud, wear muffs.

posted Hide Post
forgot to add bullets, do not use .224, only .222, or .223. Sierra are easiest to find in .223 40 Gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you loading for a S&W M-53? If so, it has a .222" bore (like a 22 rimfire). If it is a Contender it may be different.

I have a S&W and use both 40 gr. Hornady .222 bullets and 40 gr. Sierra .223 (Hornet) bullets.

I tried both H110/296 and IMR4227. H110/296 has an unpleasant muzzle blast, so I stick to IMR4227. Both powders give similar velocities measured with my chronograph.

I tried several different primers. Small pistol magnum primers were occasionally piercing - even with moderate loads. Small rifle primers work well if you have a heavy enough hammer strike to ignite them. Remington 6 1/2 primers work best for me. (They are small rifle primers designed for the 22 Hornet.)

I was able to find some old Remington factory ammo to chronograph. It gave velocities of about 1700-1750 out of a 6" barrel with some stuck cases, but no "set-back." I keep my reloads in the 1650-1700 range.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your help. Canuck, I issued a private msg to the person said to try, no response. Thanks all found two boxes of 221 bullets.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
He might be on vacation. He was posting here until a week or so ago. If you sent him a personal message, it will still be waiting for him when he gets back. Roger has always been pretty polite and a square shooter, so I am pretty sure he'll respond when he becomes aware of your question.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
He might be on vacation. He was posting here until a week or so ago. If you sent him a personal message, it will still be waiting for him when he gets back. Roger has always been pretty polite and a square shooter, so I am pretty sure he'll respond when he becomes aware of your question.

fishingGot back from Alaska early this morning.Sent all my data to Rodger. My rifle will shoot extract and reject both the rimmed variety and rimless thanks to the Ruger's #1 construction. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote