Find
Notify
Tools

Sub-sonic .308 & .223 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I need some ideas on sub-sonic loads, in .308 and .223. The paperwork for the cans just went of to the B.A.T.F. so I have 8-10 weeks to wait before I get to bring them home dancing

Super-sonic stuff is still pretty quiet, about like a .22 long rile. It will be fun to play with some stuff witout the "crack"

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acsteele:
I need some ideas on sub-sonic loads, in .308 and .223. The paperwork for the cans just went of to the B.A.T.F. so I have 8-10 weeks to wait before I get to bring them home dancing

Super-sonic stuff is still pretty quiet, about like a .22 long rile. It will be fun to play with some stuff witout the "crack"

I may be off here and if I am hopefully someone can correct me because this is a very, very dangerous practice by means of bullet lodging. But I understand that you can reduce your load by 2/3rds. +2. So if you use 42 grains of 4895, that would be 42/3=14+2...16 grains? You may want to research this formula but I understand that it works well with .30 cal. loads. Not sure about the .223..?

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua has a factory 308 subsonic load.also Google "sub sonic loads" for the Finnish"cats breath"7.62X54 loads&the problems therein.drilled flash holes,segregated cases,point first seating etc to start.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction-"cats sneeze".Finnish article is "How to load subsonic&survive"and lists all the caveats.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that shoots sub-sonic out of his 308 AR based weapon. Sounds about Like a sub sonic 22LR without a suppressor.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main things are:

First, the bullet must get all the way out of the barrel.

Second, the powder charge must not "blow up" the rifle. Think SEE.

Third, the bullet must have enough stability, when it leaves the barrel, not to contact one of the baffles, thus "busting up" the supressor.

Fourth, it must be subsonic, less than @1087 at 32*, to less than @1160 at 100*.

Fifth, I needs to be accurate, of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote