New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet Expander ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried out the rcbs 22 hornet dies this weekend and when I went to seat a 35 gn vmax (.224) the neck looked kinda bulged. So I checked the expander and it measured .224, then I checked my 22-250 rcbs expander and it measured .225. So should I get a .225 expander for the hornet die for .224 bullets or run the brass after sizing over the 22-250 expander or just use the one that is in it currently. To me it seems like the neck tension might be kinda high going with the current setup. What sounds best?

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply unscrew the expander button from your .22-250 decapping stem and screw it onto your Hornet decapping stem to give the necks a little less tension.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RJS;
I just went down and checked the expander ball on my 22 Hornet dies and it is .223 diameter!
I have loaded hundreds of rounds with the dies and haven't had a single problem!
Just make sure the cases are champhered and deburred and you shouldn't have any problems either!
Good Luck; Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote