Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 Bullets jamming into the lands
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted
Loaded some 45-70 with 350gr.HdyFn bullets and they would not chamber as if the col. was to long.
I reseated the bullet down more above the crimp groove and checked chambering again,the bullet was jammed into the lands and made land marks on the bullet 0.95 above the case mouth and I barely could get the action closed.?what the hell is going on>,
I never reloaded for this Ruger#1 before,,,,but have loaded for 2 others in the past ten years without any issues,does this rifle have a short throat chamber?
It will chamber 300gr.& 405rem. bullets easy and crimping in the crimp groove gives me the correct col...any ideas what to do?
I pulled my reloads because I would have to seat the 350gr. bullets so low to chamber it the upper #1 powder charge would prolly jack the pressure way up off the chart!
Can I load these as shorties and just use a marlin start/mid charge to keep pressures down?
Anyone ever run into this kind of problem?
I guess I can live with the 405remingtons and be happy,i just don't know where the secret place is to buy them anymore...the bullet well has dried up around here...LOL

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those bullets must be a perfect cylinder, unlike the rems that taper above the crimp groove to less than .450. Rugers don't usually have short throats; I have owned two but forget now. Depending on how hot your loads are, might not matter if they touch the lands.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd,Your right about the Hornady bullet doesn't taper any at all.
My c.o.l. with these bullets to chamber easy will be waaaayy below the listed col in all the data manuals for this bullet.
I don't mind a close to or touching the land bullet but cant warm up to jamming a bullet into the lands forcefully to close the action.. hilbilyits really been one of those days today..tomorrow will be better Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just seat the bullets deep enough to permit easy closing of the action. There is no way any sane person will overload a #1 with a 45-70.

In the future make it easy on yourself by not having any preconceived notions of throat and bullet profile. The first thing to do is partially seat a bullet and drop it into the chamber. Keep seating it deeper until you see the rim seat full depth, then try to close the breech block. Once you get an idea of what you are dealing with load your ammo.

quote:
Originally posted by 458PHCAPSTICK:
Thanks dpcd,Your right about the Hornady bullet doesn't taper any at all.
My c.o.l. with these bullets to chamber easy will be waaaayy below the listed col in all the data manuals for this bullet.
I don't mind a close to or touching the land bullet but cant warm up to jamming a bullet into the lands forcefully to close the action.. hilbilyits really been one of those days today..tomorrow will be better Big Grin

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Thanks tu2 will do tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a NO.3 I use a cast 460gr out of a lee mold I have to seat them very deep to get the rounds to chamber..

Ruger must use a short throat

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Guys BIGTIMEtu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
The early Ruger No1's in 45/70 had longer throats than the later rifles.

In the one I had I could load the 350 Hornady RN out past th crimp groove.

A buddy bought one several years later and he could not even load that bullet to the crimp groove, he had to seat it deeper.

It was my favorite bullete for the 45/70.

It works great in the 458 Bolt rifles and in 450 Nitro Express rifles using my 75% Rule.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I bought some of these in a factory loaded rounds. Loaded and shot fine in my H&R. However, the brass from these were about 1/8" shorter than all my other 45-70 brass. Maybe because of the shape of these bullets?????????

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote