THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    When you run out of your pet load's Powder......

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you run out of your pet load's Powder......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you've got a good load and you run out of that lot of powder, is it necessary to check the new lot for accuracy before you use a bunch?

I've been told yes.

Will a new 8#'er give different results in general than your old one?

I would think that if 75gr of the old lot was best, that the new lot would be very close. Maybe some tweaking of charge weight will be necessary to achieve previous accuracy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always a good idea to lower your load a smidge and work back up to it. You just might have a "Hot" lot of powder. I don't know what powder you are using but I do know that H322 has a tendancy for being a little different from lot to lot. Some times it can be uncomfortably warm.

Matt.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I note the velocity of my loads as I work up and record the various speeds at each charge increment. When I break out a new lot of powder I drop a couple grains and compare the velocity to what the old lot gave at that charge. If they match (rarely) or are within +/-25-30 fps of each other I go right to the old load. If not I rework the load.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I wish I would have done the load development with a fresh 8#'er, instead of the 1#'er!

I guess it would have at least delayed the re-working process for a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just think about all that trigger time you get.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia ----- When I first started reloading I could hardly afford a pound of powder. Years later I can have a little more say about how to develope new loads. I never start with less than 4-5 pounds and preferably twice that. I load a lot of RL-22 and have 30 pounds of three lot numbers. When I work up that first load I are very close on all subsequent loads with different lots. When I change lots, I simply step back one grain and have never had a problem. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2355 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen!

I would think the optimal charge weight would be very close with the new lot.

Good advice to back off a grain with the new lot and work up!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I back off 2% & work the load back up. Most powders are pretty stable from lot to lot but sometimes you get surprise.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fred,

I have an idea; tell me if it's a bad one.

I have 2 - 8#'ers of powder. What about thoroughly mixing them together to make them homogenious; all the same as if one lot. They are both brand new.

At this point, re-work the load so as not to have to do this again until the 16#'s is gone.

Comments?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm not Fred,but my answer would be: "Blending jugs of the same powder designation is a very good approach."

In fact, it is essentially what the powder companies sometimes do in creating "cannistered" powders.

Despite all the improvements in modern manufactruring of chemical products, there ARE variations from lot to lot; sometimes substantial variations are the result.

When that happens, rather than just chuck the whole lot, they may choose to blend it with other lots until performance is within the desired parameters established for a particular powder designation.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

That's my thinking as well

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never blended powders of the same lot, and I will not start now. If I had the blending equipment necessary to do the job 100% free of errors, I would have no problem with it, however I don't have that equipment. Getting back to square one when changing lots is a very short few shots and then you are good to go. I am sure many people do blend, I just like to keep it simple and within my own parameters. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2355 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input; I'm good to go now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're not gonna believe this..........

When I posted this question, I had run down to the last 1 of 4-1#ers of W-780 that I had. They were all of the same lot #. I got them from a buddy of mine in Louisiana.

I ordered an 8#er from Grafs and then about 4 days later, ordered another 8#er from them (I know, I should have done it all at the same time to save on the haz fee, but oh well!)

I posted this question because I didn't think that there was any way in he11 I would get the same lot #'s

The first one showed up yesterday........with the same lot #. The second one showed up today with some primers (lucky me, and foreshadowing of more luck to come in the same box)........it has the same lot #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be livin' right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep away from maximum loads and use a new lot right out of the can.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote