Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 30-30 Federal Factory Clone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen.

l have a friend with a Marlin 336 30AS in 30-30, which he would like to use for woodland Red's and Fallow.
The rifle showed a liking for Federal's 150grn Loading, but due to the troubles you've been experiencing and our importer's reluctance to bring in enough stocks, he's struggling to find any.

Now, l fully understand that my use of "Clone" might be an impossibility due to Federal using bulk powders for factory loadings and not a canister type more commonly available to us, so maybe a "Consensus" might be a better term. We also have issues with the new EU "REACH" compliance to wade through.... They're not making it easy for us over here sometimes.

lf anyone is able to shed even a small glimmer of light onto this and l can pass it onwards, l'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the powders and bullets you have on hand.

Load a few rounds with each.

Shoot them and go with the best one.

don't worry and trying to "clone or duplicate" the factory loading.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS

Apologies for the late reply sir, l've been a bit busy of late.
l'm trying to ascertain components and possibilities my friend has, but believe he's interested in now using 170's as the Red's down his way can get rather large.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same advice applies.

After 50 plus years of reloading for 50 plus different calibers.

I found that trying to chase a "perfect" match to a factory load.

Not worth the time and effort.

Close is good enough.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS, aye l agree sir.

We'll get him somewhere near enough.....