Find
Notify
Tools

Best Chrono?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
What is the best/most user friendly Chrono on the market? I think the time has come where I need one.

I really like the idea of the ones with printers or other accesories

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The more than 1,000 shooters who are members of our club use every kind of chrono you may encounter except, perhaps, commercial doppler systems. The ones seen at our range vary from the cheapest Chronys to the most expensive Oehlers.

Still, the MOST popular seems by far to be the CED Millenium. For an interesting article about it, go here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ced_chronograph.htm

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck

"There is a profound difference between 20 years of experience and 1 month of experience repeated 240 times"
So so true.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
What do you guys mount your chronographs to downrange so they do not get blown over and what not? Tripods?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
What do you guys mount your chronographs to downrange so they do not get blown over and what not? Tripods?

I use a fairly heavy camera tripod. Some winds still require a sandbag to hold the screens in place. The defusers act as sails and it doesn`t take a lot of wind to get them wobbling.

TIP: A lazer bore sighter works wonders when setting up. I don`t remember who suggested it but, someone on one of the boards I post on came up with it. They take all the guess work out of how high in the screens and if they are alined or not out of set up. When setting the screens, use the light to spot the bullet path through the defuser rods, works great!

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here ya go on the chrono setup.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I use a camera tripod. If it's too windy, I put a sand bag in my range bag and hang it from the tripod knobs.

I have a CED and am very happy with it.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle, there is no absolute answer to what is "best" of anything, as evidenced by the fact that most folks are really happy with what they have. That's understandable, what they have works! All chronographs work quite well but some have only a basic function and others have some really nice bells and whistles at higher cost.

I have and love a PACT "Pro". It has an excellant internal computer and printer that allows me to print a trajactory chart at the range, plus it does some other neat calculations.

Many people like the Chrony and other single box machines that sit in front of the muzzle. I don't, I much prefer that the read-out and controls sit safely on the bench beside me.

Heavy sand bags or even a range box hung below the tripod work to stablize the screen bar.

To keep from shooting my screens, I simply tape small cardboard shields about 3" high above the detector slots before setting up for each rifle. That insures that I have clearance to not hit the screens since my scopes are perhaps a couple of inches above the line of bore.

I have a 10 ft. piece of my wife's 1/2" hair ribbon to measure the distance from the bench to the screens, just to keep things consistant for each trip to the range. A small "C" clamp anchors it to the bench, my screen bar has a hook to attach the other end.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote