New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimum cartridge overall length?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a good way to determine the best cartridge overall length? I have read that seating the bullet so that it is just behind the lands, but not touching the lands, gives the best accuracy. How do you measure this? My reloading manual suggest taking a dummy round, then using a match to put some carbon on the bullet, or using a �white board� marker to put some ink on the bullet. Then insert the dummy round and look for any sign of contact with the lands. Adjust seating depth from there. What is a good way to drop the dummy round into the chamber without letting it touch anything on the way in? Is there another way that is better?
-Thanks

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to drop a bullet in so it touches the rifling. Then with a small diameter dowel from the muzzle end, you push the dowel in until it just touches the bullet tip. Mark the dowel at the muzzle with tape.

Remove the bullet, close the action and insert the dowel again until it touches the bolt face. Mark again with tape. The distance between tapes is OAL to rifling, subtract amount of clearance you desire.

hope this helps, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 02:25: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anything easier than this...

1. Wiggle a bullet in an empty, sized case until you can push the bullet in with a slight friction fit.

2. Place the bullet in the end of the case.

3. Chamber the dummy round.

4. Voila! You now have a pattern custom fitted to your chamber. Use it to set your seating die.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Sinclair sells a seating depth gauge. It's about $30. Beats hell out of tape, dowels, markers, etc.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
posted Hide Post
Similar to rick3foxes, but I take a fired, un-resized brass, and "dent" the middle of the neck (with my teeth) enough to hold the bullet snug. Chamber it, remove it, measure OAL carefully with caliper so you don't push the bullet in deeper. Oftentimes, I can do this three or four times and get readings that agree to the thousandth. Use the exact same bullet to adjust your seating die, as bullet tips can very several thou from one to another.

Good shootin, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice! Next time I set up to reload I will try these out.
Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Centrepunch,

re: ooopsy

I appreciate you clearing it up.

Cheers, Mike

[This message has been edited by Red Label (edited 04-24-2002).]

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Centerpunch thats the way I have done it for years, except I use a 1/8" dowell rod and mark it with a pen and measure from mark to mark with a caliper...you cannot get more accurate than this, but accuracy is not that critical in this operation.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote