Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Scenar 123gr / VVN160 load data please
 Login/Join

<Patrick_D>
posted
Hi

Does anyone have a Lapua loading manual with details of 6.5x55 loads using Scenar 123gr bullets?

If so, I'd be grateful for some details. I would like to use N160, so data for that powder would be particularly useful.

Thanks

Patrick

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
N-160 From 30.9 grains to 46.2 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr R knows a lot more about reloading than me but 30.9gr seems very very low indeed bearing in mind that the start point for 120gr bullets with this powder on his site is 40.8gr.

I do just wonder if their is a chance of flashover? VV are quite emphatic that their start loads should not be reduced.

VV will often give data from an e mail question.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
1894, Yes. At that loading I would fear the possibility of detonation. Start loads should, as far as I understand, only be 10% less than maximum.

I obtained the bullets from Jackson Rifles. They had a Lapua manual and quoted a top load of over 50 grains of N160! The reason for posting this query was, without disrespect to anyone concerned, to double-check this figure. Hence the request, specifically, for data from the Lapua manual - just in case someone at Jackson had misread it. They were also quoting in excess of 3100 FPS, which I found pretty amazing too. With a BC of .574 and that velocity it would fly flatter that a witch's boob.

I did go to the Lapua website and plough through the Finnish until I found the appropriate load data, but they didn't list N160 at all for this bullet. I can't believe that's correct either; I am certain N160 will work in this application.

I will keep on looking, and will also try mailing VV as you suggest.

Patrick

<Patrick_D>
posted
1894, VV were quick to answer and confirmed the figures from Jackson - starting load 47.2, max 50.4.

Sounds a bit hairy, but I'm going to give it a try. If the results are positive, I will post something here.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
The Nosler Manual#5 lists a 120 grain load with n160.Starting at 42.5-46.5.I am sure you can work up a load for the 123,using their info.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

I should just say that VV can be a touch 'bold' They gave me a start load for the 120gr ballistic tip of 46gr of N160 which is 0.5gr under the Nosler max! In their book they talk of reducing max loads by an amount (either 10 or 15%)Given this you would perhaps be within your rights to start at 45gr.

Quickload warns of a fast lot of VVN160 (no lot numbers) which however VV deny.

It does look a really good bullet, I was interested in the 107gr.

[ 09-05-2002, 18:47: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The data I post is tested data. The range of powder weights is what I found functional and useful in the rifle I was using. (This is stated quite clearly on the "warning" page of my reloading data pages.)

As for detonation ... I know of no one who has actually had that particular problem, or has witnessed that particular problem, in everyday life.

About the only people who continually warn of such experiences are the ragazine writers...and we all understand their credibility.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
1894, I take your point, and I am going to work up with caution. It's interesting to note that load for the Nosler 120s. It's the max load I have been using with them myself, and works quite nicely. There is a small difference between the Nosler and Lapua bullets - apart from weight, and that's the length of the bullet shank. The Lapua have a very long, slender ogive, and a very long boattail, so the actual part of the bullet where tha walls are parallel is only, roughly, half an inch long. These should push down the bore a bit easier than the Nosler, so maybe that will make a difference.

Out of interest, and because I never posted a picture before, here's a photo of a Scenar 123 and Nosler 120.

-

The lighter bullets (108s I think) are almost exactly the same dimensions as the 123s, but nearly impossible to obtain. If you are interested, have a word with Jackson. They really are beautifully made, they can be bought mail-order because they are primarily a target projectile, although they can be used in the field. And they are around 14 pounds a hundred.

Ricciardelli, I have seen detonation - and it wasn't pretty. The shooter in question had broken several rules, not least he never check-weighed loads, and didn't eyeball the cartridges before seating bullets. Basically he got complacent. There had been a powder hangup in the measure, and only a small amount of powder had been put in several cases. No-one was hurt, but the overpressure signs were abundant to say the least!

However I must agree with you on balance that it's an extremely unusual phenomenon.

<Dutchgus>
posted
You can find the Vit raloading data on their website www.nammo.fi
However the 123 grains Scenar you mentioned, is not listed. In their 2000 reloading guide, I found data for a 123 grains Lapua Silver Jacket. For this bullet they list N160 min 42.4 max 45.1