Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.8 SPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have load data for the 6.8 SPC. i have lots of brass and dies for it.

Thanks,
Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO

A new rifle is a hard sell in Congress. The 6.8SPC lets them upgrade initially and once established come in with new XM-8 rifle.

6.8SPC allows retains small and lighter round with much greater down range energy from relatively high BC 110gr bullet.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kinda rifle do you have in 6.8 SPC? Sorry no data, I suppose I could simulate some loads up for you if you like. Let me know.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you all plan to use this cartridge for? Targets? Plinking? Some kind of hunting?

The reason I ask is because I was just reading an article about this Cartridge last night in a magazine a buddy handed to me. I don't normally read "Guns & Ammo" anymore, but my buddy wanted my opnion of this 6.8 SPC.

From what I read it appears some of the ARMY folks are disappointed with the retained energy of the 223Rem when the 22cal Bullet gets to "some" Targets. And they wanted to be able to use the existing M16, but change the Receiver/Barrel. I'll reread it, but my initial impression was they were intending to be able to use the existing magazines without having to modify them. But, perhaps I misread that(happens as you age).

Seems to me it would have been more practicle to just buy some "Bushmasters" which are of the same basic design, but chambered for the excellent 308Win. Couldn't use the same magazines as the M16, but I don't see that as a real issue for Special Operations.

If they just want 110gr Bullets, they can be had for the 30cal cartridges too. But, they also have the ability to go much heavier.

So, what am I missing? Total weight of the rifle/cartridge combo less than the Bushmaster? Is this a serious concern for Special Ops?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I've also wildcatted this to 20,30 and 338.

Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

From what I read it appears some of the ARMY folks are disappointed with the retained energy of the 223Rem when the 22cal Bullet gets to "some" Targets. And they wanted to be able to use the existing M16, but change the Receiver/Barrel. I'll reread it, but my initial impression was they were intending to be able to use the existing magazines without having to modify them. But, perhaps I misread that(happens as you age).

Yes, but I have read in the different sniper forums that they found that the magazine would have to be modified, but your right that in "guns and ammo", as far as I can remember also, that the author thought the magazine would not have to be modified.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lips have to bee bent out very slightly at the front. You can still use the magazine for .223/5.56. That is important because if you modify a high capacity magazine to the point where it won't work with the ammunition it was designed for the magazine then becomes illegal per BATF. You almost need a lawyer to go to the range these days.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this link for some fairly extensive 6.8SPC load data:

http://web.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/loads.php

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote