New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a can of H414 that does well with 46 gr of this and Hornaday 139 bullets I get a one hole group at 2788 FPs In my 7mm-08.

BCL-2 same bullets and 43 gr gets 2750 one hole and 44 gr 2840 1” group

I have always shot H 4831 so let me ask a question is it common to see this much change in one grain of these ball powders?

Because a grain more in both of these powders goes extremely fast but I have large groups of 2 to 4 inch spreads.

I have been shooting the Hornady 139 grain Whitetail hunter bullets which gives me one hole group but instead of the 2850 ft./s they were shooting 2650 feet per second

I had someone give me a pound of reloader 17 has anyone tried this load and in their 7 mm 08? Looking at the charts it should fall right in with the H414 and the different 4350s On the powder Equivalency charts. Has anybody tried this powder? Thanks JimD

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be real leery of one grain giving me 100fps.
your probably real close to 1/2 or 1 more giving you no more speed,,, just more pressure.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
BLC-2 is a much faster burning powder as well as loading to a much denser charge.
The way the flame path moves through a large grain powder compared to a ball powder also comes into play.
Barrel length and twist rate also are a factor to
resistance of the bullet in the barrel.
a 100 FPS between H414 and BLC-2 would not be unusual.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the OP’s loads are below maximum according to Hodgdon, and produce well under 50,000 cup, especially the H414 load, so excessive pressure is unlikely (although not impossible). Both powders have very similar bulk densities so case fill will be only 7% greater due only to the higher charge weight of the H414. The former is a bit faster, but maximum charge weights and velocities only vary by 5% or less.

The OP doesn’t tell us what “extremely fast” means, is it an additional 200 fps? He also confuses “bullets” with loaded ammunition. “One hole groups” are two shots at what range, 25 yards? The “2 to 4 inch spreads” are 10 shots at 100 yards? Hard to tell unless we assume, and we all know where that gets you....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the old Chrony and all shots registered.
For the 46 grains of H414 I got 3 shot ave of 2790 and for 47 grains I got 2875 fps on different bullets. 48 grains gave 2900.

BLC-2 was 2750 at 43 grains and 44 grains gave 2835. 45 grains gave 2880.

For BLC-s 43 grains was in one hole and 44 gave a less than one inch vertical group. I plan to see what 43/ 43.5/ 44/ 44.5 will do. 45 gave a horiz 2 inch group.

H414 looked great at 46 gr but none of the different 47 grain loads gave less than a 2 inch group.

I found a box of Hornaday 139 SST but they did not shoot well with any of the loads. the old 139 BTSP did well.

I did find a pound of H380 and another W760 and someone gave me a pound of Reloader 17 along with a 1000 old Winchester large rifle primers.

Any ideas on your best load for these powders. Yes I know H414 and W760 are the same.

Thanks, Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have yet to be disappointed in Varget in a .308 case.

I would look into Varget, 4451, 4166 and cfe 223 for that load and I'd start with Varget.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have what I have till the drought is gone and we can buy the powder that we want and not what we can find (if we are lucky). Wink Smiler

I am lucky to have a good amount of primers. Again I like CCI and I have a couple of packs of large rifle and large rifle mag. 1000 fed reg primers and buddy sold me a thousand Winchester mag large rifle.

My goal is to find the best loads for the powder that I have found. If you use what I listed I would love to have you share that load for a 139/140/ bullet.

I should just load the H4831 that I have and use my 270 and 7 mag but I like my 7mm-08 for a fun gun out to about 325.

Your load input appreciated.

H414/ H380/ Blc-2/ RE 17

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx Their info is a little different format and there is VERY little data on Re 17. Or should I just put it on the shelf and work with the other three powders?

Jim

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Jim, in my 7x57 which is pretty close to the 08, I am using 49.5 grains of R-17. I got slightly better accuracy from R-15 so I stuck with that. Hope this helps a little.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I been loading the 7-08 oh about 30 years
I found it hard to beat 4064 or RL-15

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use max loads of H414 in my long throated 7x57, and considerale more than book max, have for years, velocity progresses as expected a bit at a time. I use the same powder in the 30-06..I have a lot of old 4831 Milsurp powder from the past, the stuff that O'Connor used and its great powder fast and low pressure, but its a pain to measure and weigh, so I adopted H414 many years ago about the time is was born I suspect! I don't have to weigh it, is dead on every time out of the powder measure if done rigtht, the best of velocity in both calibers according to my chronographs and accurate as any powder I have used in the past...I have not witnessed any over the top jumps in velocity. but I have seen that happen in many caliber just before you get to sho nuff max..so best to back off one grain.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote