Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Load for 1:8" Tikka
 Login/Join

posted
I have Tikka .223 with a twist rate of 1:8". I bought it used from a guy who gave me a bunch of 55 grain bullets of some sort. The groupings on which are quite awful. I guess that's why he gave them to me (I dearly hope it's not the rifle)!

The gun will be used for coyote hunting so a proper bullet for this use as well as accurate is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
What brand of bullet? What powder/load are you using? Mixed brass or all the same lot/brand? Read this > http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have one of the better 223 varmint rifles available today for the dollar invested. Rifle will digest 69gr. Sierra MK's very well and if needed can also give very fine performance with the 75gr Hornaday VMax and the 77gr Sierra MK's. Reloader 15, Varget, BL-C2(WC846 mil surplus) all give very fine accuracy. If typical, the throat on your Tikka is long and the heavier bullets will help get that bullet closer to the lands and grooves. Any of your load manuals will spell out given powder charges for these bullets. I would not have thought the 55's would do that well with 8 twist and long throat so doubt there is anything wrong with the rifle and think you will be pleased with the heavier bullet performance. Small game/varmints will tend to be somewhat destroyed by these bullets, so hide hunters won't like them due to destruction of fur.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd put some Sierra 60gr hollowpoints in it and see if it shoots. If it won't shoot those with Re15 or Varget, it won't shoot. Period.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
What brand of bullet? What powder/load are you using? Mixed brass or all the same lot/brand? Read this > http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

I'm open to any suggestions, I'm just getting started on my coyote hunting.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
You have one of the better 223 varmint rifles available today for the dollar invested. Rifle will digest 69gr. Sierra MK's very well and if needed can also give very fine performance with the 75gr Hornaday VMax and the 77gr Sierra MK's. Reloader 15, Varget, BL-C2(WC846 mil surplus) all give very fine accuracy. If typical, the throat on your Tikka is long and the heavier bullets will help get that bullet closer to the lands and grooves. Any of your load manuals will spell out given powder charges for these bullets. I would not have thought the 55's would do that well with 8 twist and long throat so doubt there is anything wrong with the rifle and think you will be pleased with the heavier bullet performance. Small game/varmints will tend to be somewhat destroyed by these bullets, so hide hunters won't like them due to destruction of fur.

I'll give the Sierra's a try first along with some RL15 that I already have. Thanks for the recommendation!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've shot Varget with 77's, and H355 with 52's both Sierra Match Kings.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote