Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If you could publish a reloading manual
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
You forgot about showing the effect of short and long throats, min and max SAAMI chambers, and new, tight vs. wore out barrels!

Of course we want it all, for free, in order to buy a $15 box of bullets and $20 can of powder...otherwise I am taking my $$ elsewhere!!!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You guys can't be serious!

Do you have any idea how much time, effort, and expense would be involved in such a project?

And do you have any idea of the cost of such a project (especially those who want it for free)?

Just take for example, the old .30-06 Springfield cartridge.

There are 18 different primers that can be used in that case, there are around 15 different case manufacturers (this brings the total to 270 combinations); then add the 227 different bullets in .308 which can be used in this cartridge (total combinations is now up to 61,290); next take into consideration that there are 61 powders that can be used (total is now 3,738,690 different combinations); also, don't forget you want all barrel lengths (48,602,970 different combinations now); and you will want minimum and maximum loads, and possibly 5 in-between loads (340,220,790 different combinations). That's three-hundred-forty-million-two-hundred-and-twenty-thousand-seven-hundred-and-ninety different combinations for just one caliber!

PLUS you want all the pressure readings, case dimensions and capacities, cartridge OAL, trajectory tables from muzzle to 1,000 yards, as well as velocity readings ever 10 yards!

And you want it for free?

What you want can be done ... but it would end-up costing well over $5,000 per copy (and this from people who hesitate on buying one reloading manual)!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Of course I want it for free I already have a whole damm cabinet full of reloading manuals. With each company coming out with new ones each year I can't keep up.

My wife and kids like to eat once in a while.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Steve, but just think how much fun you could have pulling the trigger that many times!

Seriously, I think there are large gaps in the reloading manuals, particularly in the effects of primers, case capacity, distance to lands, etc.

At the same time, I feel there is an effort by manufacturers to include every possible item they produce into the manual in as many different places as possible. Who cares about a 120 grain bullet in a 7mag, or a 200 grain bullet for a 308? Focus on the most appropriate bullets, powders and primers for each cartridge. If something doesn't work well, or makes no sense, leave it out!

By such culling, the three hundred forty million loads Steve projected (times 25, because each load has to be fired enough times to be statistically significant) should be able to be culled to a mere 10,000 or so Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see reloading manuals in two separate volumes, one for 6mm and smaller and one for 6.5 and larger.
Too often several calibers I shoot are not even listed in the manuals, like my .222Rem. Mag. I would actually prefer a one volume comprehensive reloading manual, but it would be unwieldy. I would also like to se all reloading manuals print accuracy reloads like Sierra. It gives the shooter of a new rifle a great place to start his reloading. Just as Hodgdon lists the loads of other company's powders I'd like to see the loads list other company's bullets. The key word here is "comprehensive." Lets get it all together in one two volume set and stop the nonsense we're currently endurng. How about putting the shooter first for a change?Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am making money as an engineer, but I plan to quit that, and write a load book that will only loose money for me.

I own ~50 load books, and I feel each generation of load books is more insulting to my intelligence.

I want to make a load book that not only gives recipes for the novice, but raw test data for the wildcatter, cartridge designer, and gun designer.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote