New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any one tell me which brass manufacturer is making the Swede brass correctly?

Also, does the Swede respond well to an Improved shoulder? Some case designs do not show much improvement with Mr. Ackley�s modifications.

Later,

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you mean by
quote:
which brass manufacturer is making the Swede brass correctly?

I prefer Winchester brass for my Swedish mausers. I can get plenty of reloads out of them and the price is right. I have had bad luck from Remington (split cases) and do not plan on using them again. I have never used Norma brass so I cannot say if they are worth the price difference.

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hearing that some manufactures do not actually make the base the correct size. Swede brass has a head of .479, and a base of .477.

They make it from other cases, with a head of .473/ body .470.

Could you measure yours?

Thanks....

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Norma & Lapua brass are head & shoulders above the rest & do have the correct head size. Yes, they cost more -- but yes, they are worth the difference if you are in search of extreme consistency.

I routinely cull 18-22 pieces out of every 100 of Winchester or Remington brass in 6.5x55 due to extreme variations in weight, neck concentricity and flash holes badly off center, and for that reason, I have gone exclusively to the "good stuff." I can't recall ever culling a piece of Norma or Lapua brass.

You can get Lapua for around $38/100 or less if you buy in bulk. Right now, I am getting Norma for around $43/100.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Yes the swede respond well to a imp shoulder.
A common one is 6,5*55 bjai (bob jourdan ack imp).
You can also rechamber to 6,5-284norma.

MVH Kimmo

posted Hide Post
I also would like to recommend Lapua brass. I have used them yet and was very content with their

* pricing, I have to admit, they are the cheaper ones in Europe (compared to similar quality provided by RWS or Norma)
* quality. Brass worked well a couple of times when RWS brass was already up to be disposed.
* shoulder treatment. Lapua brass is prepared with a certain treatment in the shoulder region. It is said this makes them more resistant against breaking in this area.

Whenever I can get the Lapua brass, it is my first choice.

Hajo

[ 06-29-2002, 23:15: Message edited by: hschwebler ]

Posts: 4 | Location: Karlsruhe, Germany | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester brass myself. In fact I shot 35 today and plan to load a few more this afternoon.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
hschwebler,

I also would like to recommend Lapua brass. I have used them yet and was very content with their
* pricing, I have to admit, they are the cheaper ones in Europe (compared to similar quality provided by RWS or Norma)
* quality. Brass worked well a couple of times when RWS brass was already up to be disposed.
* shoulder treatment. Lapua brass is prepared with a certain treatment in the shoulder region. It is said this makes them more resistant against breaking in this area.
Whenever I can get the Lapua brass, it is my first choice.
Hajo
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, my first choice will be Lapua too. But don't know what is the difference of price between Lapua, RWS and Norma. You couldn't go wrong with one of these fine cartridges brand.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER007:

I agree with you, my first choice will be Lapua too. But don't know what is the difference of price between Lapua, RWS and Norma. You couldn't go wrong with one of these fine cartridges brand.

BER007,
here in Germany it�s a huge difference: I will give you an example:

6,5x55 (prices in EUR per 100):
Lapua: 40,39; RWS: 75,40; Norma: 80,78 (PMC is 35,02 and S&B 26,59)

and .308 Win (also prices in EUR per 100):
Lapua: 37,84; RWS: 75,40; Norma: 70,05 (PMC is 30,68).

Hajo

Posts: 4 | Location: Karlsruhe, Germany | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could every one measure the different manufactures cases head? How much do I need to open this Mauser 98 .473 bolt face?
What I guess I am asking is one of the manufacturers using a smaller head, and large base?
Thanks..

Mauserkid

[ 07-01-2002, 10:01: Message edited by: Mauserkid ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face will be large enough since it is probably already over .480.
I have found winchester brass to be smallest at about .471. Remington is next at .473 and Lapua is proper at .476. As far as brass concentricity goes the best is Lapua which is so good that neck turning is optional. Winchester is next and Remington is the worst. Even with necks turned and everything uniformed as much as possible, the Lapua brass produces noticably better accuracy. By the way, The american manufacturers make the standard cases at.467 or thereabouts as a rule. I have seen 30/06 brass as small as .464. This sucks! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. Leeper.. Have you seen any data on an improved 6.5x55? I have decided not to go 6.5-284 I don�t think it would be worth the extra expenses. Brass cost alone then rail modifications and so on..

If you don�t mind me asking, what is the bullet weight to species for the 6.5x55?
Which bullet hits the (Sweet spot)and who makes it?

I see the 270 Win. gloats on 130s. The .284 likes 140s, etc. Am I not seeing somthing, You would think the 6.5 would love 120s of somthing close. But I always see posts for 140s. Is this an Elk load?

Mauserkid....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that the 6.5x55 cannot be improved only changed! Seriously, I shoot the 142 Sierra at just over 2800 fps. I am able to easily achieve 2900 but accuracy seems a little better at the slightly lower speed. I use the 6.5 for shooting at 7,8,and 900 meters and use something else for the closer ranges. I think the 6.5x55 offers a definite edge in barrel life over the 6.5/284 and the velocity, while not equal, is certainly sufficient to get the job done. There are a number of advocates of the Lapua Scenar bullets at 139gr but I have not tried these yet and am quite satisfied with the Sierras.
By the way, this rifle is built on a M70 action with a Shilen HV taper barrel 26" long and with an 8" twist. It is bedded on an aluminum block in a macmillan stock. The chamber has a .290 neck and the throat is a paralell throat of .2645diameter and long enough to allow the Sierra bullet to be seated just ahead of the neck and shoulder juncture.
My 6.5x55 hunting rifle has a conventional European chamber in a gain twist barrel. It is also built on a Win 70 action. In it I shoot the 160 Sierra at about 2600 fps and this is the most accurate load from this barrel. It also shoots very well with 120s at 3000fps. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Good info...

How about a comparison to the .284 diameter bullets. Is there a significant difference between the two in physical performance? Trying to determine if my wants are closer to needs.
Thanks for your time.

Mauserkid

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the 7s do offer a significant step up in performance on game but I'm sure there are many that can offer evidence to the contrary. I say this although I'm a true fanof the 6.5s Regards, Bill.