Find
Notify
Tools

I gave it all I'm gonna give on Scirocco II's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well,

I am at the end of my rope with the new, improved version of the Scirocco. I have tried IMR 4831, IMR 7828, H1000 and RL22 in an attempt to find a load that meets my expectations in my .300 Winchester Magnum.

This is a gun that has shot a lot of different bullet/powder combinations very well including the 190 grain Hornady BTSP, 180 grain Nosler Partition, 200 grain Nosler Accubond and the 180 grain Swift Scirocco in the original version. When I say very well, I mean to say m.o.a. or better on a consistent basis, not every 5 groups or so.

When Scirocco announced the Scirocco II I couldn't see a better bullet for my applications, so I set out to make it work. I tried and tried but the final verdict is in after this weekend. I will not try any more.

What I thought was a promising load at 81 grains of H1000 ended up being better than anything I shot up to that point, but no consistency whatsoever. I tried loading at different seating depths from .010 off the lands to .070 off the lands. Nothing improved, some only got worse.

I guess I got some range time out of the deal, as well as some loading experience, but I am moving on to the 180 grain Nosler Accubond.

Thought some of you might be interested in my report.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm certain some rifles will really like the Sciroccos but I have never owned one that gave outstanding accuracy with either the original or the IIs. However, in my experience, they do work well on game.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. I, for one, appreciate it!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Sciroccios in my case (300 RUM) only so so accuracy in the RUM and other rifles as well, pressure problems if you dare to approach a "max" load for that bullet, and horrible performance on deer. Nope, sticking with my Noslers and will also be trying TSX's this fall.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All: A friend of mine has tried the new
Sirocco 2's and also has had dismal results,apparently the bullet won't fly! Don't know exactly what the problem is, not having played with it myself...but so far all reports say its a
dog for accuracy...Swift better do some research on it...the ycharge premium prices for a bullet that so far hasn't performed. Swift, are you listening?
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 winnie

Have you tried any other powders? I would check out Ramshots Magnum powder i have been hearing really good things about it. How about different primers, a change from one company to another can bring miraculous results.

It's obvious that your rifle can shoot, you just need to experiment with different things, or it may be that your rifle just hates the new Sciroco.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Sciroccos sure can be picky. I for one love them. Have outstanding loads with the 180 in my 300 RUM and the 130 in a 270, the 180 in my 30.06. (which by the way, that 30.06/180 Scirocco combo has taken 2 black bears now through the shoulders)---Excellent performance.

Full penetration from the 270/130 Scirocco on large KY whitetail strong quartering shot and pass through. I don't hesitate to use these bullets.

One thing to consider is this: did you make sure your bbl was CLEAN before working up loads? The Scirocco can foul the bbl moreso than a Barnes bullet. H1000 is a great choice for that caliber too.

If you've loaded up quite a few and keep getting dismal results, I agree, it's time to stop. I guess I got lucky.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
300Winnie, give Bill or Tony a call at Swift. Maybe they can give you a couple of ideas. I haven't talked to Tony myself but Bill is a hellava nice guy. I'm sure he would be interested in your problem. Their phone number is on their website. www.swiftbullets.com

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote