New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Bullet Q?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a 165ish Gr. Boat Tail bullet that has a somewhat controlled opening to it. I want to use it on anything from Deer to Moose.

Anyone have any good ideas to help me out?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a huge TSX fan. On the other hand, for what you describe and seek the Nosler partition is still the standard. The front is relatively soft but the back end stays together.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S&W-Varminator:
I'm looking for a 165ish Gr. Boat Tail bullet that has a somewhat controlled opening to it. I want to use it on anything from Deer to Moose.

Anyone have any good ideas to help me out?

Any of the 165g-168g Bonded, Hornady, Nosler etc. thumb

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has probably been more animals kilt with a Core Lokt bullet than all the rest put together. The '06 don't need no magic bullet to kill stuff.
If you want to get real fancy, a NP will take you where you want to go.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partition...

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 165 Nosler Accubond

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a 165 Partition. My brother is coming up in a few days for our moose hunt. He has to use a friends .300 Win Mag. Since we have little time to get him set up before we leave, I've loaded up a known accurate load with that bullet for his use. For moose, you're gonna want a premium. I'd really prefer a NorthFork over anything else but.....
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you want a boat-tail? I agree with the Partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Answer is very easy - 165 gr. Accubond.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've used the old Hornady 165 grain BTSP (interlock) from my 308 for antelope, deer, and elk for about 30 years with great success.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its nicer loading boat tails and the added B.C. doesn't hurt. Thank you all for your help

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote