Find
Notify
Tools

kneck snap and belt break in Hornady .223 Rem
 Login/Join

Picture of Scarab
posted
Hey guys,
resizing some .223 Rem brass with a friend. He was using case lube on the outside but not the inside of the kneck whilst doing a resize. He had a couple of cases that were turned into magnums (i think i bumped the die somehow for that) and then we had a case get jammed and when he went to pull it out he tore the belt off.

Was this likely due to no lube inside the kneck?

Cheers.

Posts: 22 | Location: Parkes, NSW, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, more likely either not enough lube on the outside OR, even more likely, wrong shell holder.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Scarab
posted Hide Post
He put some lube on immediately before he put it into the die and the die is definately .223 Rem (or isn't that what you mean). I'm not sure how much he put on the kneck though...

Posts: 22 | Location: Parkes, NSW, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scarab, I said shell holder, not the die. I assume that by "belt" you mean the rim? Better make sure you are not trying to resize steel cases.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Even with the wrong shell holder if there was enough purchase to rip a rim off there should have been enough to withdraw a properly lubed case.Useing the right shellholder for the cartridge is a very good idea though. I`d double check you have the right one.

Make sure you are lubeing all of the case wall not just a dab at the base or shoulder. Most brass tapers slightly and full contact isn`t made until the case is fully in the die. You don`t need a lot of lube but it needs to lightly cover a majority of the case. If you can feel the lube you have enough.
BTW; what lube are you useing?

If as Peter mentioned you have steel cases (some military brass is) DON`T try to resize them, they won`t resize properly and will jam up in the die.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
If as Peter mentioned you have steel cases (some military brass is) DON`T try to resize them, they won`t resize properly and will jam up in the die.

Tell me more about this.
I am resizing some brass 7.62x51 brass.
It is very difficult to resize.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

Picture of Scarab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Scarab, I said shell holder, not the die. I assume that by "belt" you mean the rim? Better make sure you are not trying to resize steel cases.
Peter.

Yes, sorry, i'm still getting my head around all the names. I'm usually pointing to bits. I can only assume the shell holder is correct as he bought it from a dealer. 80 rounds loaded fine and then we removed the die and put it back in. Then problems.
He had to punch the shell out from the top so it was grabbing on the outside of the case.

The cases are fired Winchester factory and have been tumbled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thers only one k in neck! try the redding imperial resizing wax

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIs anyone besides me a little confused??? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than likely the Die wasn't set up properly to begin with and a lack of case lube would cause that problem in a heart beat .

It's sometimes necessary to " Full Length resize " ( FLR )cases . After firing one should check case length , trim if necessary . Ensuring proper case lubrication prior to resizing , then either neck size or FLR .

Making sure ALL reloading components prior to reloading are for the caliber one is attempting to reload is essential .

I've been guilty of it my own self , a few .222 cases mixed in with .223 !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me more about this.
I am resizing some brass 7.62x51 brass.
It is very difficult to resize.

To be honest I`ve never personally loaded steel but, I`ve always believed what I`ve heard of them being prone to sticking due to the lacquer coating on them use to prevent rust, and that they tended to chatter some in the dies.
They also work harden quickly and are more likely to split with limited use then brass cases.
Most of this I got from a co-worker that couldn`t seem to get steel mil-sup he picked up somewhere to perform for him.

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
More than likely the Die wasn't set up properly to begin with and a lack of case lube would cause that problem in a heart beat .

It's sometimes necessary to " Full Length resize " ( FLR )cases . After firing one should check case length , trim if necessary . Ensuring proper case lubrication prior to resizing , then either neck size or FLR .

When setting up the Dies , make sure the Case is going all the way into the Die for FLR . One easy way to check is after lube is applied . Take a wide tip felt marker make a mark or two widths around the bottom just above the rim .
Place it in the press stroke it and see where the Die stops ?. Now wipe all the lube off and see if that empty chambers in the weapon ?.

Making sure ALL reloading components prior to reloading are for the caliber one is attempting to reload is essential . Shell plate shell holder Dies projectiles load recipes .Don't forget to check the OAL of cartridge also .

I've been guilty of it my own self , a few .222 cases mixed in with .223 !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rim on a .223 being kinda small, if the reloader didn't brush out the neck of the case before resizing and put a little lube on the inside of the neck and there was a little slop in the fit of the shell holder, I can see the case pulling out of the shell holder.
Don't ask me how I know. Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedIs anyone besides me a little confused??? bewilderedroger

I know I was from the first read of "kneck snap and belt break." I'd love to see that belted .223 Rem!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, c'mon guys, he's from Australia!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I assume it was a used shell holder from your comments... The Shell holder could be the wrong size for the case your reloading. I've seen it before, reloading some, then bang. I've also had a shell holder wear out, become dirty, very easily.... Just a thought....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
If your using spray lube like Hornady you need to let it set up for a min. or cases will stick.

I have never had a shell rip out of the shell holder because I did not put something slick inside the neckkkkkkkk.

Take a V&E class if you want to worry about speeeeling here.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornMy or may not be appropo here but, Honing, stoning and polishing of the expander especially sharp edges can greatlly reduce extraction force.
BOOMroger lefty

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Jeez, c'mon guys, he's from Australia!
Peter.

Being from Australia may be a reason for bad spelling, but not for not lubing inside necks.
Big Grin

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honing, stoning and polishing of the expander

bartsche, how about some tips on how to do this? I have a 7x57 (sizing) die that is a real bitch with both my 7x57 and 7x57 R cases. In fact I have resorted to putting a dab of lube at the (inside) base of the neck as I have to really lean on the press handle to get it out of the case (neck). My main concern is how to ensure concentricity.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the expander ball and stem from the die, chuck the stem in a drill motor and have at it with some #0000 steel wool or a fine hone.

When I first expanded some .243 cases to 7-08, I chucked the expander ball alone in a drill motor and using a course hone and then a fine hone and then some steel wool, changed the abruptness of the angle of the nose of the ball for easier entry.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
When you polish the expander ball remember to only polish. You don`t want to remove metal, just buff to a nice smooth even surface.
If excessive force is still needed to draw the ball out of the neck you might want to see if the sizer is reducing the neck too much. I`m not sure of the ammount under the expanders diameter the die should size to but, I`d guess over 0.004-5" is more then needed. Keep in mind brass thickness plays a part here too. Commercial will be thinner then mil-surp for example.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scarab:
Hey guys,
resizing some .223 Rem brass with a friend. He was using case lube on the outside but not the inside of the kneck whilst doing a resize. He had a couple of cases that were turned into magnums (i think i bumped the die somehow for that) and then we had a case get jammed and when he went to pull it out he tore the belt off.

Was this likely due to no lube inside the kneck?

Cheers.

Sound like it was some other caliber brass you were trying to size in a .223 die ...

Picture of Scarab
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks guys, i'm still not sure what we did wrong, but i know the spray on Hornady lube was still wet so that may have contributed.
The shell holder is .223 Rem.

A few of you have recommended the (inner resizer) expander ball be polished, but the case was stuck even with the expander ball loose inside the case.

I'll give it a go though. I think it may be a combination of things, with a big dose of inexperience thrown in.