Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X, xlc
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
HI

I have never tried the xlc coating on the barnes bullets. I'm looking for some advice. Is the extra bucks worth it. Does it fould less than the regular ones. How is accuracy. Does the xlc causing less pressure.

I'm about to order some 180 grainers for my 300 wby [Big Grin]

Cheers
JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to get about 3250 fps with the 180 XLC's. The 180 standard X bullets can only be pushed to about 3100 fps. The coating will reduce pressure, friction, and fouling. If you use the same load with coated and standard X bullets, the coated bullets will be slower. However, the coated bullets can be loaded higher than the standard bullets.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can shoot 1" groups with the uncoated bullets in my Weatherby's,but can not get the coated ones to group at all.This is just my experience,others have had good success.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your Weatherby has a custom, match grade barrel, I'd recommend the 168 gr. XLC, not the 180 gr. XLC. The 168 gr. bullet is designed to be less fussy, i.e. it should, and does for me, shoot better than the standard XLC's in a wider variety of barrels and loads.
Going to a lighter weight is not giving up anything. You will gain velocity, and should loose nothing in penetration. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
those 165 gr. blue babies shot one hole in my old M-70 300 H&H, most accruate bullet to date in that accruate rifle, then one zipped through a coyote at 25 yds. and never came close to openning up..that dog went over a mile to expire...then they clogged up my dies with blue goop so I quit shooting them....I just can't get along with BarnesX bullets, but still try from time to time because a lot of others seem to have good luck with them.

Can't get them to shoot in my 375 or 416 and will try the 350 gr. BX in my 404 tomarrow.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear some of this info. I bought a series of the XLC 180g to try in my .308. Due to scope sighting issues, I can't tell you if they were accurate or not, but for the brief period before I shot my scope base loose, the XLC's were giving decent accuracy at 100yds. I will be trying again soon to check group size. I haven't had the blue goop problem yet, but in the wider radiused Dillon Dies there isn't so much an issue of too tight a tolerance.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have had real good luck with the Barnes X and XLC bullet is some of my rifles. I have a 7mm STW that wants me to use nothing but 160 gr. XLC's and will put them in one hole, if I do my part on the trigger end. I also have a .340 Wby that likes 225 gr. XLC's and X's. They are extremely tough and will do the job when they get there. I also shoot Nosler Partition and Gold's, Swift A-Frame, and North Fork. I will shoot the one that best groups in that particular rifle. Lately the North Fork has nearly supplanted all the others, it is the toughest premium bullet that also has Sierra Matchking accuracy. The front end is bonded core lead and the rear shank is solid and in toughness on the same page as Barnes X and XLC, perhaps mushrooming faster on smaller game. [Wink] Good shooting.