Find
Notify
Tools

Love the Barnes 300 gn TSX !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Impressive !!
Well, I was really impressed with this performance.
300.30 gns prior to being shot. 299.60 gns post-recovery and after great penetration. Can't ask for more than that.
https://drive.google.com/file/...Z2s/view?usp=sharing

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is as good as it gets. Brian

PS. What was the animal? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
95% of the time I have recovered TSX bullets they are just like that. Kind of boring. Smiler

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS. What was the animal? Thanks, Brian

Here's a picture for you Brian.

By the way, nice account of your buff hunt in the African Hunting section. I enjoyed reading that.

https://drive.google.com/file/...WFE/view?usp=sharing

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a good shoulder shot with a big wound channel. Thanks for the photo.

I get the impression from your posts and others that the TSX penetrates straight and far, like a solid. True?

It might be due partly, to the long shank of the monolithic bullet and the even/cemetrical development of the mushrooming petals that don't seem to break off easily on TSX bullets. Tough bullet.

Expansion with good weight retention is the holy Grail of "softs".
Those petals are savage and must make a very effective wound channel.

I have been into solids for buffalo but I might rethink that.

Also, thanks for the kind words about my story.
I am really hooked on buffalo hunting. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That shoulder shot you see in the photo was one of 9 shots I fired at that buff. Shot No. 3 just skimmed over his spine but the other 8 were all good hits. My loads do 2400 fps and as far as I can tell none passed through this bull. He was still alive when we walked up to him, but only just, and quickly expired. When charging my magazine the PH asked me to put solids on the bottom. The only solid ( 300 gn. Woodleigh ) fired was the one that skimmed his back. This is my first buff so I am certainly no experet but I thought the Barnes bullets gave excellent performance and I would definitely continue using these. I would say the penetration is probably related to your comments re the long shank. Those petals are tough. The recovered bullet in the photo was lodged within a rib bone that it had broken on the opposite of entry. Bull buff rib bones are pretty hefty. I would not feel undergunned if I did not carry solids again for buff, but of course they are probably useful for other shot opportunities so I would carry a few just in case.
One factor that persuaded me to load Barnes TSX 300 gn. for this hunt was the generally high praise they commanded among experienced AR hunters.
I hear you on your comment about being hooked on buff hunting. Others warned me that I was in danger of this also, and I think they could be right !!!

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
That shoulder shot you see in the photo was one of 9 shots I fired at that buff. Shot No. 3 just skimmed over his spine but the other 8 were all good hits. My loads do 2400 fps and as far as I can tell none passed through this bull. He was still alive when we walked up to him, but only just, and quickly expired. When charging my magazine the PH asked me to put solids on the bottom. The only solid ( 300 gn. Woodleigh ) fired was the one that skimmed his back. This is my first buff so I am certainly no experet but I thought the Barnes bullets gave excellent performance and I would definitely continue using these. I would say the penetration is probably related to your comments re the long shank. Those petals are tough. The recovered bullet in the photo was lodged within a rib bone that it had broken on the opposite of entry. Bull buff rib bones are pretty hefty. I would not feel undergunned if I did not carry solids again for buff, but of course they are probably useful for other shot opportunities so I would carry a few just in case.
One factor that persuaded me to load Barnes TSX 300 gn. for this hunt was the generally high praise they commanded among experienced AR hunters.
I hear you on your comment about being hooked on buff hunting. Others warned me that I was in danger of this also, and I think they could be right !!!

Sounds exciting. If you don't hit buff in the CNS with the first shot it can get interesting real quick. I had one buff that took 8 shots from my 470 and 3 from my PH's 458 Lott, closest shot was 18 inches and the furthest was 3 yards. Then I have shot other buff that dropped on the first shot with a 375 350grain woodleigh.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Thanks for your comments, and yes, I think you are spot on re hitting buff in the CNS. In various ways this advice is given quite frequently. The lesson taken from my single buff hunt to date is importance of CNS shot placement where ever possible. In the circumstances of my particular hunt the whole scenario was quite fluid and, admitting my inexperience, I was really trying to get shots in while possible without opportunity for better shot placement. However, the job got done eventually and I had a result. Later of course, I did feel my shooting could have been better and remembering the above lesson that would be my intention should I be fortunate enough to hunt buff again someday.
I chuckle at your description "sounds exciting". I remember the adrenaline rush ! Wow ! No wonder guys go back for more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my two buffalo kills I had close range facing shots. The solid .375 cal (CEB and NF, one shot each.) went through the heart and came to rest in the gut. the bulls ran 30-40 yds.
I was taught that the straight penetration of the solid bullet would enable me to hit the heart. But, can you imagine that TSX expanding "Chainsaw" going through the heart in 458 cal.
I have made some poor shots in Africa but have been lucky on the 2 Buffalo. I guess fear improves my shooting.

I am going in Sept for three buffalo cows. I will be using a 577 NE 700 grain hard cast bullet and will make every effort possible to get the bullet through the heart.

After that I am going to take a serious look at your TSX bullet in 375HH, 458Lott or 500-110.
In the bigger calibres, 375+, TSX's are always good news. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing any animal needs 9 of those bullets to kill it, that's one hell of a lot of energy, never hunted buff but that amazes me they can absorb that kind of punishment!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many a PH has had to track a wounded buffalo for three days. and some have gotten killed when they found it. Dangerous game. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSX and TTSX

I am not dumping on Barnes Bullets, in fact I am praising them for working on their driving bands.

One of the criticisms of the TSX bullet has been that it is not as "barrel friendly" as some other solid core, mono bullets. (Interior ballistics.) Higher pressures, fouling and not good for some double rifles are the sighted problems.
Of course no one wanted to admit this, especially not Barnes. But, the mono bullet aficionados found that bullets like GS Custom, Cutting Edge and North Fork didn't demonstrate any of these interior ballistic faults.

Tonight, I looked at the Barnes website for the first time in several years and saw that it looks like they have tried to remedy the problems with their newer TTSX Bullet. Check it out. It looks like they have changed the groove/driving band design enough to make the difference. They even mention it the text.

This is very good news for us bullet nuts.
I must add that I have never used TSX or TTSX bullets. I just recently got thinking about the TSX again because of the good posts/report here on AR. I am going to give the TTSX a whirl. Brian

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brian, you are right about the improved Triple Shock being easier on barrels. These are simply excellent bullets that looked just like King's when recovered from heavy African plains game.
Have a wonderful hunt!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I am glad to hear it. That is good news all around, because the terminal performance of the TSX is second to none. Thanks for confirming my observations.

Thanks for the blessing on my hunt. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started using the TSX bullets many safaris back and always had exceptional results. Some of the PH's were unfamiliar with them at first and were very sceptical. After viewing the results in every case they were believers. They are good bullets and do many things well. I would also add that in all my rifles except one, they are as accurate or more accurate than others that I have tried.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread has been good for me. Brian

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Clayman, when we went to Namibia in 2007, my PH begged me to bring along a couple of boxes of Triple Shocks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, what 577 do you have?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please don't laugh:
I made it out of a H&R Handi Rifle 10 ga. break open single shot. "Nothins too good for a cowboy". Ed Hubel did the barrel stub and I did the wood work and some metal work. (CNC Mill). 27" barrel. Weighs 14 lbs.
I load my own hard cast bullets, 21BHN, not brittle,700 gr. 1800 fps. Please see you tube. "Brian Shoots".
Straight stock has very little muzzle rise. (I can hear you laughing!) Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazing any animal needs 9 of those bullets to kill it

amazes me they can absorb that kind of punishment!!

My son and I both shot buff on this hunt, on separate days. We were shooting the same reload ammo with Barnes TSX 300 gn. After each buff we discussed in awe the number of shots we put in, just to get them on the ground. After a first shoulder shot my boy's buff turned 180 degrees and moved about 50 metres. It basically stood stationary while he put another 5 shots into the opposite shoulder. One of these was through the heart. Only after shot 6 did it collapse.

Possibly my buff didn't need the last few hits to finish the job but my PH insisted and I wasn't about to argue. He cautioned me against making assumptions about the incapacity of downed buff. He had witnessed a downed buff with four broken limbs that actually got up and charged on one occasion. On another occasion he had a very lucky escape from the personal attentions of an angry buff that charged after absorbing several shots.

My son and I both came away from our hunt with much deeper respect, and admiration, for the sheer tenacity of the Cape Buffalo.