Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Opps ... Loaded pistol primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
Depends on the load. If it's not expected to run over the pressure level of a .44 Magnum (~40,000 PSI), I'd shoot them. If they're hot, I'd worry about primer piercing.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Due to the thinner construction and the fact the striker on your rifle hits harder then the hammer of a pistol I`d pull the bullets and start over. You may be under safe max pressure for the primer but, I wouldn`t bet a eye on it not knowing for sure.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I would just shoot them.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT for more oppinions

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
take the ammo apart, do not fire. If the prime is pierced, the hot gas will cut the firing pin and or the bolt face, leaving a pit.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on pull the bullets and reclaim the powder. You can safely decap the cases, with your sizing die, and reload. Just press the primers out slowly, and you won't have a detonation.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded pistol primers in a .17 wildcat, and had pierced primers. You may, too. I'd take 'em apart and start over.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took the rounds apart the other night with my bullet pullin hammer.
Pierceing a primer and gas cutting my nice bolt face was my biggest concern.

Easy fix.
I have them reloaded with the right primers now.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote