New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder burns 45 acp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to reloading 45's and turn out a test batch using titegroup, 185 xtp's and noticed that on some of the cases, they were considerably tarnished with burnt powder, after firing.

Perhaps as they were stacked up in the mag, and the ejecting cartridge spewed flashback? I had never paid attention before, other than policing up the brass.

I was shooting glock model 30.

Any ideas?

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Whats your titegroup charge?
Sounds like a low pressure factor.
Not enough pressure to expand the case against the chamber wall.
Gas escapes and blackens the side of the case.
Use more powder or pick another!

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ah, TG, my favorite powder to bash. TG burns much hotter than most powders on ignition, so if you are shooting lower pressure laods, it will scortch. Many shooters also report more leading when using TG w/ lead bullets. Then on top of the narrow load range, the tiny powder charge occupies very little case volumn. Switch powders, especially if you are trying to run 185grJHP hot. TG is NOT a powder for pushing max in anything. If you want an economical fast, clean burning powder, try WST. If you want to drive 185grJHP fast, try WSF.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew I would get good info. Thanks. Yes , I was loading minimum load, 5.0 grains I believe. Yes, I will try WST and WSF, if I can find any. That is how I ended up with TG, only powder on the shelf and I wanted to get started...Shoulda known....

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I am gonna piss off fredj, but I regularly use titegroup for light practice loads on my ruger and s&W revolvers. I love to use it because it is so accurate....

The low pressure loads do not fully seal the case on ignition,and you do get some soot as I do with all cast lead bullets. For example, if i use TRAILBOSS powder I get a similar if not more...soot and residue. I push my 185 -200 grrn bullets right around 800-1000 fps and am very satisfied. BTW I am getting about 12-15 reloadings out of virgin WW brass using these type of loads with full length resizing using titanium carbide dies from Redding.

happy shooting.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote