Find
Notify
Tools

A new (actually old) case lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted
I often design and build test and assembly tools at work, so I have access to a wide variety of commercial oddities. Anyway, I bought a power entry module of Roxtec brand and it came with a 10ml vial of "lubricant." I only used a tiny amount, so I thought I'd try it as a case lube. That's the new part of this story.

I had some 270 cases I'd bought a couple of years back at a gun show. I hadn't used them because, try as I might, they kept sticking to my die (full length sizing, since these were never fired in my rifle) So I tried the Roxtec stuff and voila! no problems at all!

Now here's the old part of the story- turns out the stuff is plain old tallow. Yeah, rendered animal fat, lard or whatever..

I thought I'd suddenly stepped back into the 1800's!

Anyone else use lard for case lube?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not quite lard but lanolin is used as a cutting lubricant and a swage lubricant still.
[quite often mixed with bees wax for better easier application]
when it is mixed with something like neets foot oil or castor oil to become a thinner oil instead of an animal wax it works even better.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of things work. After running out of the product a common die maker sells and living way up north like 200 miles from a sporting goods store I tried some plain old STP oil treatment. Worked better than some lube that is sold as die lube and is cheap. Works just great on a lube pad.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain saw bar oil, super slick and goes a long way.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
STP oil treatment. Worked better than some lube that is sold as die lube and is cheap. Works just great on a lube pad.

tu2Also Bardahl if you can find it.
I still use home brewed Paraffin and motor oil at times. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote