New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any general, helpful comments regarding the Ramshot powder lineup? I like the price, but have not yet tried any. Thanks

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using thier X-Term - TAC - Big Game powders for about a year and will not change. I am currently using them in 223, 7mm-08, 308, 257 Roberts. They meter great and have been very consistant. I am getting about ready to try some of the handgun powders, so I cannot really comment on them. Give them a try, I was using Varget before in the 223 and 308 and changed to Ramshot.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
A couple, based on my use of X-Terminator and TAC in the 223, 7TCU and a few others:
1. Very clean burning.
2. Super easy metering.
3. TAC will generally shoot better with magnum primers in the 223, for some reason.
4. TAC is roughly in the 4895 burn rate range, perhaps a shade faster.
And one for:
5. Big Boy (I think it's called Magnum now) is pretty slow - probably close to I7828.

Of course, these were my experiences, yours may/will vary, etc....

R-WEST

[ 10-01-2003, 21:00: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have been using TAC in my 308 Savage just recently and am getting what I think is excellent results with Sierra Match king bullets. Pretty much getting under half MOA with some as small as .35. This matches what I was getting with BLC2, but cleaner burning. Am also working with X terminator in a 222 but not enough data to declare victory yet. Both meter well and I intend to continue to use them. Good luck in your trials.

Posts: 10 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See Handloader Magazine Oct.03 #225! Picking the Perfect Powder by John Barsness!I like Ramshot! Ed

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I like everything but the recent price increases. BTW, I just ran some trials, and in my WSSM, 7828 is way faster than Magnum. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Difranco>
posted
I actually I have been having problems recently with over pressure situations resulting chamber explosions (kabooms) with the Ramshot ZIP. (2 times now, same canister). This is happening at low powder charges. (700 - 750 FPS Chrono'd; 5 to 6 % below max charge. No signs of over pressure in other fired cartridges of the same lot.)

It had been awhile since I checked these forums and I stopped in to see if anyone else is having a similar issue. I am currently talking to Ramshot (Western Powders) about the issue and will be sending them 50 rounds for analysis.

They also have a recall on their Big Game Powder, see: Ramshot Powders

[ 10-02-2003, 08:27: Message edited by: Difranco ]

<Steve in MI>
posted
I had great luck with big boy( now called somthing else) in my 300 ultra. Great groups with even better velocity

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramshot Enforcer looks like, smells like, and makes brass flow with the same charge as AA#9.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use X-Terminator in my 20BR and the rifle loves it. It's extremely fine and burns very clean.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in trying some of the product but when I went to the web site today to get some loading data and some information about the powders all I got was a blank screen.

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJL4570,
The site seems to be down.
I have the Ramshot handloaders guide 2 saved as a WinZip file that I could email you if the site never comes up again.
But I think the site will come back in at day or two.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We in Belgium have PCL powder (PRB), it's a rumour the Ramshot powder is the same ?
I emailed them and their answer was indeed it was produced in Belgium but a second email about the relation with PCL/PRB powder... no answer yet (2 months ago)