Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the 338 Federal.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I assume most of you are just using 308 cases and running them through a FL 338 Fed die or FL 338-08 die?

Seems like someone would start selling brass for this round since a few companies are chambering rifles for the round now. Any rumors out of when they may sell the brass?

I just purchased a Tikka T3 lite chambered in the 338 fed and plan on getting my equipment together pretty soon.

I'm shortly going to place an order to Midway for: RCBS FL 2 die set, Hdy .338 200grn SPILs, .338 200 grn CTNBTs, and maybe some NABs though I'm not sure of 200s or 180s as I believe the long NAB 200s are going to rob a good bit of powder capacity with the seating depth dictated by the short Tikka magazine.

I'm thinking powders such as Benmark, Varget, H4895, and H335 all should be appropriate for such a round.

Any of you have luck with the above powders in this new cart?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, one of the guys at the range had one that he shot about 3 boxes of Federal fusion ammo through, he said it was abot $20 a box,
and reloaded those cases with Varget (I forgot which bullet, but it was 200 grains) and was having excellent accuracy.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah Don, I thought about that and still may do it. I did see that Midway was sold out of the Fusion loads right now. I may find them somewhere els and give 'em a whirl. Heck, they may be plenty accurate for busting a few whitetails here locally. When I get finished I can use the brass to develope loads for my upcoming Bull Elk 1st rifle hunt in CO next year. I'll probably carry this rifle along as a back-up. I bet the 180-200 NAB would be good elk medicine at medium range.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you're right on with the 180 AB. I've got some that I've run through a 330 Dakota, lights out accurate, and devastating on game performance. They should make a good mid range elk round.

Hopefully properly headstamped brass will be here soon.

Let us know how you end up--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
I did see that Midway was sold out of the Fusion loads right now. I may find them somewhere els and give 'em a whirl.

Midsouth has them for $19.65/box.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Me, since I have so many .308's and NO 358's, I bought some .358 Win brass to load. No way to confuse the cartridges that way.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Midsouth has them for $19.65/box.

Thanks,

I placed an order to Midsouth yesterday evening. They were over 10 bucks cheaper than midway on my order for rings, bases, dies, 2 boxes of bullets, and 2 boxes of the Federal Fusion factory loads.

I'll probably use up one box for break-in as well as for a few groups. If they shoot well I may just use them for deer next season. At least I'll have some properly headstamped brass for a while.

z1r,

You planing on just running the 358 brass through a FL die?

Thanks Guys,

Reloader

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Reloader, yep. I'll keep an eye out for the dreaded doughnut but in my limited experience it's not a problem except in tight (target style) chambers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote