THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another stupid reloading mistake...........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I guess I'm not immune, I had my Kahr CW9 at the range practicing with it some and was shooting some of my 115 gr fmj reloads. Everything was going great when I had a 'click' instead of a 'bang'. hand cycled the round out and proceeded or so I thought. There was another 'click', I cycled that round out and decided to stop and look at both rounds. There was no primer hits on either but then something caught my attention, there on the rim was the letters 3 8 0 A u t o. They were loaded to the same overall length as my 115 gr 9mm stuff. What happened was I processed the two 380 auto shells and loaded them into the progressive press and cycled them through and tried to shoot them. I looked at the cases after they came out of the tumbler and looked at the primer after the round came out of the press and still didn't catch it. This is the first time this has ever happened, I hope it isn't a sign of things to come. LOL.

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wait you are getting older it can happen to anyone.
Just have to check even more now. Cool

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can relate to the stupid part of your thread. Fortunately, I caught mine before something really bad was going to happen.
This past Saturday I was experimenting with my new Lee Hand press and Lee Classic Loader. I was sizing and priming some 30-06 cases. This is when I found the issues with the long Rem. 9-1/2 primers and short pockets. (Note: "Beware of Remington Primer Issues" in this forum)
Well I was pretty well focused on the primer thing when it came time to add some powder. I acquired some H414 and some H110 a few years ago and put both of the black plastic 1 LB. jugs on the same shelf, in the same area - (Stupid No.1). Well I decided to use the Lee dipper along with their load data and some H414. Not carefully reading the label I reached up on the shelf and grabbed the H110 by mistake (Stupid No.2). Guess I saw black jug, the H and the "1" in 414. Anyway I proceeded to load me up some rounds by golly. Well on the last couple rounds of 6, I noticed that static electricity made an unusual amount of powder stick on the powder funnel. So much so that I had to really tap the funnel to get it to come loose. No problem. I proceed to seat the bullets and crimp. On the last of the 6 rounds I thought to myself, "that sure was alot of fine powder stuck to the funnel". Alot more than H414 should be doing. I finish charging the cases, screw the lid back on and put the jug back on the shelf still not noticing the label or even where I placed the jug (Stupid No.3). The more I thought about the powder sticking to the funnel the more something didn't seem right. Being the suspicious sort that I am, I pull one of the bullets and in shock I found the H-110.

Now I don't need any kind of guages or thingy's to know that a dipper of that size full of H-110 was NOT a good idea in a 30-06.
The big man upstairs was sure looking out for me that day!
If I remember right the Lee dipper scoop carried around 50 grains or so of H414, which is a powder that I don't use very often. It was probably more with the H110.

Needless to say I have since moved the pistol powder ALOT farther away from the rifle powder and even tied some flourescent orange tape around the jug.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More then likely if you were using a 9mm 1911 it would have fired those 380 rounds.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
More then likely if you were using a 9mm 1911 it would have fired those 380 rounds.

is that supposed to be a plus?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure with as many things that can go wrong loading one at a time, I am not a fan of progressive. I do load some similar size rounds one in silver and the other similar size in brass.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attention to detail is what it's all about, that said shit happens. I have found more than one round with primers seated upside down, but so far that is the worst I've had happen with a progressive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
Attention to detail is what it's all about, that said shit happens. I have found more than one round with primers seated upside down, but so far that is the worst I've had happen with a progressive.

Not on a progressive, but I've actually had primers that were right side up in the primer arm and damn if the things somehow didn't flip flop when seating them. My biggest offender was small pistol primers in the 357 Mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:

Not on a progressive, but I've actually had primers that were right side up in the primer arm and damn if the things somehow didn't flip flop when seating them. My biggest offender was small pistol primers in the 357 Mag.

Joe it's funny how that happens, but it does, aND yes in 38 and 357 for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to ptimers flipping over. With a standard
primer arm any mis alignment with the shell
holder will cause the primer holder to drag
downand then snap up. That will flip a primer.
One shell holder I hav has to be shimmed
with a piece of paper to center the priming rod.
I only use the priming rod for short runs.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I keep a 450/400 3inch case with a belled mouth to remind me that .423 bullets don't belong in .408 caliber cases.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHY??? - was my initial response. But I'll just go with reality bsflag

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
"This is a football..."

[Back to basics/fundamentals.]
Glad it worked out.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
As someone once said:

"Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll never live long enough to make 'em all yourself" Cool

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHY??? - was my initial response. But I'll just go with reality

Yeah!!! for Hot Core. We load 9mm on the Dillon 950, or what ever the number is now, and once in a while, the same thing happens to us. BTW, Hot Core, these are the same guys who were telling me that the 6.5-06 wildcat, is the same as the 6.5-06 A Square.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry, I missed that 6.5mm thread. Hang in there! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hot Core: I promise there is more to come on the 6.5 thread. I have almost all the necessary info together to start a new thread.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
WHY??? - was my initial response. But I'll just go with reality bsflag

I was thinking the same thing. Don't most auto rounds headspace on the mouth of the case? What's different about a 1911 that would make it fire a 380 round inside a 9mm chamber?