THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can I reuse a bullet that i pulled from a caseing?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I reuse a bullet that i pulled from a caseing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bob da Builder
posted
Can I reuse a bullet that i pulled from a caseing?

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

Posts: 31 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Accuracy may be affected if you damage it however.If you use a Kinetic puller stuff some cotton balls in the bottom.Won't be perfect but usable.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. Accuracy may be affected if you damage it however.If you use a Kinetic puller stuff some cotton balls in the bottom

tu2 I've also used a collet puller.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've pulled countless hundreds, if not thousands of bullets; using Side Cutters, Collets & Kinetic Pullers.

Perfectly re-usable for all sorts of shooting other than real valubale Trophy hunts or Bench Rest/Target.

Even if they're nicked a tad on the side from the Side Cutters - shoot just fine; as a Rule of Thumb the only way you're gonna get real bad performance from pulled bullets is if you damage the bases of the bullets which is actually pretty hard when pulling them.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly; bullets can look like hell and still shoot well. If you are a bench rest shooter, I don't recommend using vise grips. I see this has already been covered; well I got this far....

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!

Any bullets (or less-than-stellar combinations) that don't look or shoot up to snuff at the bench I just designate for use in offhand or other practice sessions. It gives me more trigger time with the rifle in question and gets good use out of partial boxes.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If you are a bench rest shooter, I don't recommend using vise grips. ....

animal

I disasembled a bunch of old loads the other day. Just used side cutters @ the top of the press. That steel barrel is a LOT tougher then any minor defect in a lead/copper bullet, and many times those little nicks and such will be gone by the time it exits the muzzle.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes you can. as a matter of fact, sometimes you can buy "pulled bullete"

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob da Builder
posted Hide Post
When I pulled the bullets with my RCBS collet there is a ring around the bullet from the collet gripping the bullet to pull it out. Are they still safe to shoot too?

"Do a good turn daily"
Eagle Scout, Troop 215

Posts: 31 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they still safe to shoot too

Yep. Heck I've used bullets that were pulled with a pair of wire cutters.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I take cartridges apart just about every time I do load development.

I put a good amount of ammo together, head out and check these on paper and return home.

The good loads are repeated....the bad are disassembled and bullets, powder, primmer ect are reused in the good load recipe

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob da Builder:
When I pulled the bullets with my RCBS collet there is a ring around the bullet from the collet gripping the bullet to pull it out. Are they still safe to shoot too?

I use an RCBS collet puller but have not noticed a ring on the bullet other than a very faint one sometimes if this is what you are referring to?

Have not noticed any loss of accuracy in hunting loads using bullets pulled with collets.

For those that do not have a puller, a cheap set of electrical crimping pliers from a hardware store work fine, the ones with different sized holes at the nose of the pliers. They are usually plastic coated and do a good job of pulling bullets from cases provided neck tension is not too much. Put the cartridge in the loading press without a die, handle down, grip the bullet protruding from the top of the press and then up with the handle.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read an article quite a while back about this very thing. The author determined that if the "damage" was forward of the shoulders, it had little or no effect on the accuracy; if the damage was on the shank, it did. He went so far as to distort the noses of some of the bullets with pliars and they still shoot fine.
IIRC, what drove the article was concern over the battering that cartridge's tips sometimes take whilst in the magazine of the rifle.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I read an article quite a while back about this very thing. The author determined that if the "damage" was forward of the shoulders, it had little or no effect on the accuracy; if the damage was on the shank, it did. He went so far as to distort the noses of some of the bullets with pliars and they still shoot fine.
IIRC, what drove the article was concern over the battering that cartridge's tips sometimes take whilst in the magazine of the rifle.

Guy by the name of Koos Barnard did that many years ago in SA Magnum magazine.

He mangled the points and bent some right over and it didn't make all that much difference - extra 1/2 - 1 MOA IIRC.

Filing the bases slightly at an angle caused them to veer off all over.

That must have been in the 90's - maybe 80's.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote